TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

HR springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2000, 09:51 AM
hsm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HR springs

I was wondering if anybody who has had the stock springs replaced with the HR springs (not shocks), can tell if the car handles any better.
One company said that I should replace the shocks with stiffer shocks due to the change in height (the stock shocks won't be able to handle the new height), yet another company said they have done numerous changes with just the springs and have had no problem with the stock shocks handling the change.
Also, would it make sense to get the shocks from the "recall" prior to replacing springs (these are supposed to be firmer)?
Any personal experience with the springs (and who did it for you-I'm in CT.) would be helpful.
Thanks
Old 04-03-2000, 09:52 AM
hsm

Re: HR springs
Old 04-03-2000, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The car handles MUCH better, better turn in, body roll is almost ZERO, and lower center of gravity

I am 100% happy with the H&R product. I highly recommend it, and others who have seen or driven my TT have gone and done the same. I am also in CT. I went to an Authorized H&R installer in PA, but I know of others in Boston MA, and NY.

The springs, just like with the chips and exhausts for the 180TT it is the way the car SHOULD have come from the factory.

I think the life of the stock shocks will be shortened from the H&R springs, but as soon as bilstien has their TTQ coil overs ready and I can get them for a good price, I will do that...

If you want to get together sometime and drive my TT let me know.

-Jenner
'00 180QX TT Garrett Stage II, Borla, H&R Sport Springs, LLTEK tail light covers, LLTEK floor mats, tint, V1, stereo etc.<ul><li><a href="http://users.neca.com/jenner/audi/">My Audi TT site</a></li></ul>
Old 04-03-2000, 01:48 PM

Default Re: HR springs

I had the same thought about waiting until the recall mods are done. This does assume, however, that you want the other effects of the recall.

As reviewed by the press awhile back and reiterated by several posters, the recall requires more lock at lower speeds which yields a less respsonsive steering wheel below 50mph. If this is where you normally drive then the control arm mods and stiffer shocks woupld probably do fine with the H& R setup, albeit untested in this configuration so far.

If you plan on autocrossing your TT, where most speeds are indeed below 60mph, the mods IMO would not be of benefit but the lower center of gravity provided by the H&R springs would benefit significantly.
Old 04-03-2000, 05:46 PM

Default I second Jenner's opinion. The H&R setup is how the sport package car should come..

Handling is significantly improved. Ride quality is barely effected.

If you are planning to chip the car, then you definitely want to go with the H&R springs.

ScouTT

'00 TTQ 180/Garrett Stage2/Borla/H&R Springs/K&N/Llumar tint/V1
Old 04-03-2000, 06:15 PM
Elder Member

Default I have the H&R springs . . .

The second best improvement to the car after the Garrett Stage II chip! The springs are a better improvement than the Borla exhaust! I also think the Borla must go hand in hand with any chip!

I have alrady auto-x'd the car and the H&R springs are allowing the car NOT to roll over the outer front wheel as much as stock springs do.

They don't affect real world comfort as much as springs have for me in the past with other cars. On a jarring bump, you hear the rear springs much more than stock, but that is my ONLY complaint about them!

Get them and you will never look back. Take Jenner up on his offer . . .or come out this Sunday to an auto-x and take mine for a spin on the street!

I will be at the Palisades Mall for an auto-x Sunday. Go to www.wscc.org for more info.

Larry
180TTQ Garrett Stage II, Borla, H&R Sport Springs, V1, Custom Stereo,
Stable Energies Shoulder Harness Bar,
Deist Safety 6pt Race Harnesses<ul><li><a href="http://larrytt.tripod.com">Larry's TTQ WebSite</a></li></ul>