TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

I am considering to chip my leased TT when APR is here. Is it OK to chip leased vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering to chip my leased TT when APR is here. Is it OK to chip leased vehicle?
Old 09-23-2002, 07:55 AM

Default NO - chipping a leased vehicle is not ethical, moral, or legal

Chipping a car wears an engine more quickly than in detuned state. Since the lease residual is calculated assuming normal usage and mileage - you are stealing from the dealer by chipping the car.

Secondly, it is unfair for the next buyer of your vehicle who assumes that they are buying a car with a certain amount of wear (within a range) to pay for a car with much more wear.

So - from a legal standpoint - no - you can't.

From a moral standpoint - no you shouldn't.

Now - that said - many on this site chip their leased vehicles. This is their personal choice - and they are playing a game of cat and mouse with their dealers. If caught you could lose substantially more than your car given a good litigator.

Now - would the dealer know - maybe not depending on the chip.

I would suggest - if you are truly interested in chipping a vehicle - that you buy a vehicle. Put some $$$$ down and take out a loan on the car. Maybe it won't be as expensive a vehicle - but when yours - do what you like.

Ethically, I feel you are also obligated to tell prospective buyers of your car (when you decide your done with it) to tell them about the chip - and give them the option of buying with or without.

As a property owner who rents out units - I would immediatly prosecute someone who rented from me and then made changes to the structure. I withold security deposits from people who paint the apartement and do not return it to the colors we painted it when they started renting. I have to do that - no choice if I'm trying to maintain my properties.

Now - don't look for my approval on this - I don't approve. I have friends who chip their leased cars - their choice. I don't wag my finger or offer my opinions unless asked. and you asked.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:58 AM

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2002, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

YES!! It is fine...go get chipped and have a blast. Dealer can't even tell u have a chip with APR.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cough, cough... bull****... Do the chip. Imagine... stealing from the dealer? Almost like they

rape us.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:09 AM

So - after the motto - its okay to break into your house if I feel you cut me off in traffic?
Old 09-23-2002, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It'll cost you the added expense of a spare ecu...

in order to bring back the car as original. Also I've never seen the prohibitition of ecm alteration in the actual lease contract, but you may want to check this out.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:48 AM
Elder Member

Default but...

if you get the x chip, you don't need the spare ecu right?
Old 09-23-2002, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure, go for it... then it would be okay if I blow a 6 inch hole in your chest with a Desert Eagle..
Old 09-23-2002, 09:03 AM

Wow. LOL. Look forward to seeing you on Jerry Springer.

Quick Reply: I am considering to chip my leased TT when APR is here. Is it OK to chip leased vehicle?