TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

I am having problems with my Top

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am having problems with my Top

2009 TT roadster.
My top will go down but not up anymore.
The side doors are ok and open and close properly.
The dealership says I need 2 new motors? If it goes down aren't those motors OK. How can 2 burn out at the same time? Those types of motors are protected so the chance of any 2 going at the same time is impossible.
Any ideas? Fuses etc. Just could be out of sync with the sensors?
Thanks so much.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You have a Mk2 Audi TT, this is the Mk1 forum. The Mk1 top is actuated by a single motor turning a hydraulic pump that attaches to 2 hydraulic cylinders. Sounds like yours uses 2 electric motors? Regardless, if the top goes down but not up the motors are probably fine. I would guess the likely culprit is one of the sensors/switches that prevent you from closing the top inadvertently. The Mk1 has switches for the cover that goes over the top when the top is down. If these switches are damaged that would prevent the top from going up. There is also some logic in the car to prevent you from closing the top while the car is moving, that could be faulty.

In the Mk1 the fuses and relay (called a "control module" in the shop manual) for the top are in a relay panel under the steering column.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that in my mk1 you have to be at a full stop. I know in my 2013 a5 you could go at slow speeds and still close the top. Also, are our windows inching down when you engage the roof? If not, the roof will not budge.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 253 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Lots of discussion of this in the Mk 2 forum

Originally Posted by dh53
You have a Mk2 Audi TT, this is the Mk1 forum. The Mk1 top is actuated by a single motor turning a hydraulic pump that attaches to 2 hydraulic cylinders. Sounds like yours uses 2 electric motors? Regardless, if the top goes down but not up the motors are probably fine. I would guess the likely culprit is one of the sensors/switches that prevent you from closing the top inadvertently. The Mk1 has switches for the cover that goes over the top when the top is down. If these switches are damaged that would prevent the top from going up. There is also some logic in the car to prevent you from closing the top while the car is moving, that could be faulty.

In the Mk1 the fuses and relay (called a "control module" in the shop manual) for the top are in a relay panel under the steering column.
Just read back a few pages in the Mk2 forum. In the Mk 2, the problem is almost always the sensors in the 2 flap motors, not the top motor. The sensors are inside the motor, optical, and eventually get covered in motor grime. The service folks are probably seeing faults in both motors. The flap motors usually still operate with defective sensors and the top will often operate with only 1 defective sensor so the OP probably just had his second sensor go bad while the first was bad for some time. If you are mechanically inclined, you can take the motors apart and clean the sensor lens. However, the official Audi solution is replace the motors rather than repair because the labor to repair is more than a new motor.

Last edited by Vegas-roadster; 07-18-2018 at 06:01 AM.