TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

I am pursued by an unmarked Crown Vic with CNG

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2001, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am pursued by an unmarked Crown Vic with CNG

Yesterday, I am within 3/4 mile from the house. There is a line of traffic in left lane so I pull up to the right lane at the light. To my left is an unmarked Crown Vic. It has government plates but the guy behind the wheel is bearded, has rosary beads dangling from the rearview mirror, and a small CNG (natural gas) decal on the side. Figured this guy works for public works or some such thing. Light changes. Pull away from the crowd and get into the left lane since the right lane becomes a right turn only and the road narrows. I'm doing 70 in a posted 45 but this short 1/4 mile stretch has a golf course sitting on either side of the road so no cross traffic.

Anyhow, I slow to make my left turn, do so, and am followed by the white Crown Vic. I always do the actual speed limit in my neighborhood and did so. However, after pulling into my garage, the white CV is pulling alongside the curb.

Guy gets out and starts his spiel: "I am detective so-and-so, such-and-such department," and I reply, "guess its been too long, you don't recognize me." "Steve, what the hell are you doing speeding in that thing?" Turns out he was a co-worker when I was "on the job." He's identifiable with badge and silkscreen badge patch on his pullover shirt. He just had no emergency equipment since he works in Criminalistics. The funny part:

"I saw you sitting next to me. TT, oh boy, he's going to tear out from the light, I can see it now. Better turn off the A/C because I won't be able to get close to you to even get a plate number. That car is a mover. Better watch out. Most of us Jurassic park people have been retiring left and right. The new 'kids' are 'militaristically (sic?) geared.' You'd get a ticket in a nano-second."

We jaw for a while and he leaves, a smile on his face and..."I need to get some damn emergency equipment on this thing...oh, well, it's not a speed demon anyway."
Old 07-21-2001, 07:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great story, and no ticket to boot.
Old 07-21-2001, 07:34 AM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: I am pursued by an unmarked Crown Vic with CNG

The ticket would never stick anyway. Unmarked CNG Crown Vic almost certainly doesn't have a calibrated speedometer.
Old 07-21-2001, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know that except that the judges here are always rubbing white powder off their noses

Nah, not from KKs...the other stuff. So, who knows how they'd handle it. But, I agree with you on this one.