TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

I Had Tranny Fluid Tested: Here are the Results:

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-1999, 05:25 AM
Ryecatcher

Default I Had Tranny Fluid Tested: Here are the Results:

I while ago I replaced my tranny fluid with Redline against my (terrible) local Audi dealers recomendation and against AoA (who said that it might "void my warranty"). I had the stock fluid tested by an outfit called Titan who does testing of engine oil and tranny fluids, etc. Here are the results:

Viscosity was within established parameters (75w90). Frankly, this surprised me, as the stock fluid looked like cloudy water, but, hey, they know what they are doing.

The test revealed an ABNORMAL number of metalic particles given the miles driven on the fluid (1000). Though it was not quite up to the "warning" level that they have in the testing documents, it was up to the "caution" level.

The testing revealed what I feared: I don't think the fluid is the issue, rather faulty synchro designs. The "thicker" fluids like redline and Mobil 1 might mask this, but I fear that the transmission is still grinding the gear. In my experience with Redline, I've still had a couple of grinds, though not nearly as often. I have also been much more deliberate in my shifting and trying to match revs to the best of my ability.
Anyone, feel free to email me if you want a rundown of the entire report.
Ryecatcher
Old 10-21-1999, 06:45 AM
Victor F

Default Re: I Had Tranny Fluid Tested: Here are the Results:

When you talk about a grind is it a kind of muted and short grate that you can feel through the gear stick? I get this going from 1st to 2nd but only when the car is cold but then getting into reverse when the car is cold is sometime difficult. It doesn't slip or grate but does not slot in. I used to get this in my old A3 in reverse and 1st until it was run in a couple of 1000 miles.

Are these the same sypmtoms? I noticed this kinda behaviour in the demo TTQ I drove.
Old 10-21-1999, 06:48 AM
Andy W

Does this problem relate to 6 or 5 speed boxes? (nt)
Old 10-21-1999, 08:05 AM
ryecatcher

Default It's a long grind from 1-2. I also have the recalcitrant Reverse. (nt)

nt
Old 10-21-1999, 09:52 AM
Victor F

Mine is just a run-in job then. Thanks for the info (nt)