TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

I have never seen this type of car wash system before, totally brush/clothless

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have never seen this type of car wash system before, totally brush/clothless

I was in Naples Florida visiting the Parents and my dad took is car to the car wash. You pull in and a big arm with a massive water jet spray cleans the car! Holy smokes, it came clean. Any TT'ers try this?
Old 01-27-2003, 02:17 PM

ive gone throught one of htose by my house. i felt water come thru the top of my convertalbe
Old 01-27-2003, 02:18 PM

funny you say that, the moonroof almost lifted up
Old 01-27-2003, 02:27 PM

Default Some think the water comes out at too high of a pressure and will damage the finish

None that I know of around here. I'd probably go to one myself if there was one.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Once... the metal guide rails damaged the rims on the drivers side
Old 01-27-2003, 02:37 PM

Default I own carwashes and thoe touch free ones are not good for your paint...

the chemicals they use to account for the alck of brushes is very abrasive and after repeated use will destroy your clear coat. Thant is all
Old 01-27-2003, 02:43 PM

Default There's one like that at the place where I wash my car...

I always use the do it yourself wash bays, but the other night it was like 20 degrees and my car was filthy, so I thought I might try the drive thru wash. I drove up and looked in to see if there was a guide rail or anything. I was just sitting there deciding whether to do it or not because I was scared of something happening. The owner of the car wash was there also cleaning up and he came over to me and we started talking. He pulled his Cadillac into the drive thru bay and got out and we both watched from the front while the car was washed. There is a huge arm on the one side with tons of sprayers that moves side to side and then there is an arm that hangs down in the front. Everytime the front arm moved from side to side it hit against the front bumper of the car. I'm not sure if the guy pulled up to far or what, but when I saw that I decided to just use the DIY sprayer. I froze my *** off, but at least my car didn't get damaged in any way
Old 01-27-2003, 03:43 PM

Default are u serious, do they all use chemicals?..been taking our A4...

and was about to take the TT though I was concerned about the guide rail. what to look for to confirm chemicals? is the high pressure damaging as well (fixed sprayers-no arm moves over car)? thx
Old 01-27-2003, 06:04 PM

No just the touch free ones are bad, i go through mine every once and awhile when it rains for days
Old 01-27-2003, 07:26 PM

Default I have one locally and as far as touchless goes,

I like it. I have not seen any damage from chemicals. I keep a good wax on regularly. I took my old black truck through the car wash that has the dancing fingers and cloths that go down the side. It just beat my truck to death with scratches. How could you possible send through a ton of cars and have those cloths clean washing your car. That kind is the worst. I think it depends on how the touchless is designed. Mine tells you when to stop inside. It is wide enough for dual wheel trucks so no problems with hitting your rims. It is not the job I would do by hand, but if you are weighing what hurts your paint, there is enough acid rain to etch it permanently if you donot wash after rain, dew, or even sprinkler systems, or the salt or cinders back east here we encounter. Personally I feel a car wash is a favor to your car. Just use the touchless that is safe to get in and out of without any damage.

Quick Reply: I have never seen this type of car wash system before, totally brush/clothless