TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

I just ordered my 19mm sway bar...woo-hoo!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered my 19mm sway bar...woo-hoo!
Old 02-10-2003, 10:24 AM

Me 2!!! bye bye push!!!
Old 02-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Rest In Peace

Default ok...i know i might be stirring it up a bit, but.....

by installing this I have heard that it should remove the oversteer...others say that it makes the car a little too dangerous because of the oversteer removal. Is the danger the drivers ability, or lack there of???? I want to jump in on this group buy, and not worried about my ability....but if it makes the car too unstable that is different....
Sorry if I am bringing up a sore subject...but i really want to understand the dynamics here.....

TIA
Old 02-10-2003, 10:51 AM

Default thank god!

since i can drive sideways better than most people going straight!
Old 02-10-2003, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stiffens up the back end reducing understeer, potentially increasing oversteer.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:01 AM
Rest In Peace

So its ability....not the car....thanks, I wanted to make sure.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes, that's been my interpretation - it's ability/experience. I have yet to drive a TT with the bar

...though, so I don't know for sure.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:16 AM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Here's some info...

The link below will take you to a post regarding a TT with said sway bar which crashed. Here are some follow up comments from me (aka Brad Willis) and Chris Lloyd (aka Lloyd of the Rings)...

Are we sure this Neuspeed bar isn't TOO thick? After all...
User account number (aid): 8

Posted by Brad Willis on 2001-05-20 11:30:08
In Reply to: Install tips...(and corrected measurements)...

When Audi made the changes from MkI to MkII, they only modified these bars by 1mm. Here, we're talking about about a 5.4mm change, which seems substantial.

Are we sure we aren't overdoing it, i.e. reducing understeer to the point that the car could be potentially dangerous and the odds of the back end coming around increasing dramatically? We all want to improve handling characteristics, but not at the expense of safety.

==================================================

My feeling too. Wes Simpson has the only TT I know with this change and .......
User account number (aid): 134

Posted by Lloyd of the Rings on 2001-05-20 11:50:08
In Reply to: Are we sure this Neuspeed bar isn't TOO thick? After all...

significantly (in my mind) he spun at both SearsPoint and Thunderhill track days. I think this large a diameter bar might induce too much oversteer.

Personally, I find the TT to be fairly neutral in handling; a larger diameter rear anti-roll bar would certainly increase the likelihood of the back stepping out with abrupt off-throttle changes.

==================================================
Re: My feeling too. Wes Simpson has the only TT I know with this change and .......
User account number (aid): 8

Posted by Brad Willis on 2001-05-20 12:08:39
In Reply to: My feeling too. Wes Simpson has the only TT I know with this change and .......

That's my gut feeling. In other words, I think we have to be careful about saying, "Neuspeed makes a 19mm bar, so let's throw it in there and see what happens".

At one point, I was going to swap my MkII rear bar with a MkI rear bar. I still have the feeling that this would have been a nearly ideal setup. But again, we're only talking about a 1mm difference overall. Ultimately I decided against this.

When I owned a MkI TT, I almost swapped ends and lost it once. Fortunately, I was able to counter and recover, but if I had spun, I could have been injured and the car may have been damaged. The MkI TT did not feel like I was beyond the limit until I was actually there.

Since I have been driving my MkII TT, this has not occurred. I'm sure that part of that is due to being a better driver now, and more familiar with the TT's handling characteristics. But I also suspect that the understeer that Audi introduced has indeed made this a safer car.

Again, my gut feeling is that leaving the MkII's front bar as is, but swapping the rear with a MkI (1mm increase) would be a compromise mid-point (if that makes sense) between a MkI and MkII with respect to anti-sway bars. I also have the feeling that a 5.4mm increase in rear diameter is potentially dangerous.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/385481.phtml">Sway Bar Modifications</a></li></ul>
Old 02-10-2003, 11:30 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Excellent post....gives me something to think about...I do not want a car thats TOO "edgey"......

Many thanks!
Old 02-10-2003, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I love it... my TTQC has virtually neutral steering, it goes where I shoot it.... have no fear.

Quick Reply: I just ordered my 19mm sway bar...woo-hoo!