TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

I just spoke to someone at APR (Call 334-502-5181 for your own version)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey, business is business man. If I were in the same position, I wouldn't service

these cars. You can get higher margins, and just rebadge product for Hondas. Then you could sell stickers with great markup. Don't think that I am faulting you. But you might want to develop a Credo for your company and realize that customers needs are important. Giving customers what they want leads to $$.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:08 PM

Who's chipping in with me to buy Hans a plane ticket to NY/NJ/Conn?
Old 08-07-2002, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default According to your site - Stage III for a TT Quattro isn't available yet..........

and there is no mention of the cost of the custom downpipe needed for quattro or any pictures of it at all.
Old 08-07-2002, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default FREE - I don't think so.

When you guys put the APR chip in my TT back at TT-East in Asheville, I specifically asked about the 93 octane version. I was assured that because some versions of the TT 225 chips had been done for the 93 Octane that getting it done for the rest of the 2001 TT 225's was in progress. Therefore, when some TT's get the APR chip and it includes programming for 93 Octane and other TT's do not, then I do not call this a FREE item or upgrade. I call it something I paid for but have not received.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sean.. doode.. when you said you'll blow the turbo with the x-chip

you just said it with no facts or evidence to support it.. I said Im impressed <b> because </b> garrett can make a 959 pass emissions.. Now if I just said he was good because of gut feeling, jump on my ***.. Hey don't hold back.. My feelings don't get hurt.. lol..
Old 08-07-2002, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yes, that impressed me..

If it was so easy then why didn't someone do it 10 years ago?
Old 08-07-2002, 08:45 PM

Default APR has my sympathies ... (warning: long and opinionated!)

As a business software industry veteran for over 15 years now (sales mgt.) the parallels between computer software development/enhancement and chip development/enhancement are eerily similar yet the business models are 180 degrees apart. There may be a time when the Chip business model goes the way of either business software or consumer software (or a blending of both??) ... with business software, customers typically purchase a perpetual software license up front and then pay annual maintenance fees (15% or more of the purchase price is pretty typical) for technical support AND product upgrades. For consumer software (aka "shrink wrap"), the user typically buys the current release of the product, has to purchase support separately as an option and is not offered much in the way of free upgrades ... maybe a modest discount on future releases/upgrades.

The Chip side of APR (or GIAC or others) is essentially a software company but it's business model is that of an auto parts company ... this doesn't work in the long run and that is why APR doesn't have sufficient capacity to do all of the follow-on chip enhancements in a timely manner (their competitors will undoubtedly also face the same cost and competitive pressures as the APR company official notes below in his response so this is not an APR-specific problem). Another issue is that the Chip companies have many individual products but fewer users to spread the development, upgrade and supports costs over versus many of the larger successful software companies that have only a few versions of their product that is sold to lots of customers. Ultimately the Chip companies will need to move to a business model to derive additional maintenance revenue from existing owners that want upgrades and continued development of chip software for their (our!) cars ... there cannot be a continued "free lunch". There may even come a time when the Chip companies will have to derive some incremental revenue from ongoing technical support in order to staff and provide the customer services levels that we all demand. Guys, think about it, 500 bucks for a low volume product and you want free support and free upgrades ... it's not a viable business model in the long run!

We should be happy that the APR's and the GIAC's of the world DO offer as many free upgrades as they do but to hold them to an upgrade schedule is unreasonable. As consumers, we vote with our dollars and if new customers want a particular program they should purchase from vendors that are already shipping what they want. `nough said ... hope this doesn't spark too much of a debate or more "flaming"!
Old 08-07-2002, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That is a fair and accurate assesment of the issue IMO...

However, I did not create their business plan. ;-) I would not mind paying $100.00 for a chip upgrade. I hope APR can respond to the demands of the marketplace. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:43 AM

Default Again.... WTF is this CFO doing? Isn't he supposed to run the business.

So the engineers can just develop, instead of developing excuses?
Old 08-08-2002, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Hey, business is business man. If I were in the same position, I wouldn't service

I completley agree and understand that. But that statement "realize that customers needs are important. Giving customers what they want leads to $$" implies that we're not doing anything right now that has anything to do with customers. I get the same thing from Beetle guys who don't have Stage IIIs and octane specific. I get it from 2001 A4 guys who don't have Stage III or octane specific. I get it from...the list goes on. I assure you that whatever we're working on is directly related to "customer needs". We're not jumping ship on what we stand for and just going for the dollars. If that were the case we'd be selling high margin accessories like sport grills and wierd looking tail lights and sport pedal covers. That's not us, and unfortunately we don't have those low cost, high margin, low price products that rake in the money. I just don't want you to get the picture that we're all about margins and money.

Quick Reply: I just spoke to someone at APR (Call 334-502-5181 for your own version)