TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

I need brake dust covers for my TT

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-1999, 10:58 AM
Jeff Jennings

Default I need brake dust covers for my TT

The pad material on the TT is horrendous. Even a short drive leaves material all over the wheels. Does anyone know where to purchase the covers that mount in between the wheels and the brake rotors to keep the pad dust off the wheels?. My dealer (YBH in Edgemont) doesn't sell them....

TIA - jeff
Old 08-23-1999, 01:10 PM
Denny

Default Re: I need brake dust covers for my TT

The Herrington Catalog (tel. number elsewhere in forum) has them. Was just looking at it last night. I believe people on the forum, however, have recommended against using these.
Old 08-23-1999, 03:34 PM
John P.

Default Here's the Herrington telephone # for the "Wheel Shields" . . .

I just received their catalog last week. The "Wheel Shields" are $44.95/pair & $85.00/set of 4. The # is (800) 903-2878.
Keep in mind, however, you may want to reconsider these because they could impede proper brake cooling. Also, your pads may settle down a bit and release less dust as time goes by.
Old 08-23-1999, 05:12 PM
Andy Hedin

Default Only real fix for excess brake dust is...

...new pads. Sure you can wax the wheels which helps when cleaning them, but all Audi's (and most German cars for that matter) have a tendency to build-up a ton of brake dust on the wheels.

I swapped my A4 stock pads out at 30,000 miles for a set of Refren's and brake dust has been practically eliminated. Brake feel is less "grabby" than stock. Not sure if they make a TT fitment, but it would be worth looking into. Also highly recommended are the Mintex RedBox pads. HTH,

Andy Hedin
'97 A4 1.8Tqms, Wett 1.0 Bar, ABT Filter, EuroLights, APR/Borla Exhaust (sitting on basement floor)....
Old 08-23-1999, 07:08 PM
STTeve R

Default I followed Brad Willis' advice...California dusters...$12...they work...can be used daily....(more)

and it gets rid of most of the brake dust. I think it beats all other options while the brakes are themselves 'breaking in.'
Old 08-30-1999, 06:31 AM
Wayne

Default Herrington's Wheel Shield Feedback (more)

I just installed a set of the Herrington Wheel Shiels on my TTQ. I cleaned the wheels inside and out before installing these. They do work.. After a 3 hour drive in the city and highway. I returned with no dust on the wheels. These covers have directional air vents which direct the air into the wheel and help cool the brakes. I hope I experience no brake cooling problems. The covers are black and from most angles are undetectable. However you can no longer see thru the wheel's spokes. To me that's the biggest draw back. But I do enjoy the look of sparkling wheels for weeks.

I would be interested in any feedback or others who have tried these wheel shields.