TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

I need to feel out the market for aluminum TT mirror housings.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2001, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need to feel out the market for aluminum TT mirror housings.

Most of us have seen the S series satin finished aluminum mirrors, and thought they were the coolest thing around. I have been doing a great deal of work to make these for the TT, and am at the point of go/no-go.

As some of you know, Audi has the patent for the process that does this finish on aluminum. Also, the S mirrors are aluminum, not plastic. The tooling costs for proper castings are WAY out the window, per part/low volume. Milling from a lump is also up there, plus you need to do the finish. (I am talking about a proper copy, not some hack job)

This puts me at low volume plastic plating. I am basing the finish on the filler cap, door handle, and 2001 five-spoke wheel. (Yes, I know there are differences) This is not the same as the S mirror, but I feel it will blend and look much better with the stock trim.

As the first part will be just under $500, I need to get some idea of the interest. I would be able to offer these at around $900 per set. (There is alot of labor, due to the finish.) This is for two housings, you use your stock innards and mounts. I know this is not cheap, but it would be a custom part for a rare car. (Heck, this group spends $4000 on wheels.)

If this happens, I would send you a test mirror for approval, and do the work on your decision.
My hesitation is due to the fact that this is from my pocket, and a few returned sets would cause me to break a promise not to eat Raman Noodles anymore...

You can either E-Mail me, or post below this.

Thanks for your time

Mark Van Etten
Old 02-01-2001, 10:26 AM

Default Personally I wouldn't spend that much on mirrors...

I think the reason why most people in here are willing to spend 2-3k on rims is b/c they help the car perform better.. This on the other hand is ricer idea(all show but no go).. If im gonna spend 900 its gonna be on performance parts not ricer parts.. Thats my opinion though..
Old 02-01-2001, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

It is a bit pricey . . . $400 Maybe. $900 ... naw