TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

I once swore I would never own another hatchback w/o a rear wiper; I now regret forgetting that...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2000, 01:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I once swore I would never own another hatchback w/o a rear wiper; I now regret forgetting that...

I originally made the comment when I owned an '89 Ford Probe GT. Great car, but I didn't get the rear wiper option and regretted it whenever it snowed...

Well, driving home from work on Friday, first time in falling snow with the TTQC. Snow falling lightly, but enough to be annoying and gum up traffic. What is usually a 10 minute drive takes me 45 because traffic is going 5 MPH.

However, the fun part is, about five minutes into my drive, my rear window becomes useless. It's completely covered with snow, and as time goes on, more piles on. By the time I get home, I have a good solid .5" on the rear hatch glass.

In short, people who say the TTQ makes a good snow car mean only when the snow STOPS falling. In falling snow, it really, REALLY needs a rear wiper...

(Oh, and despite Audi's "full maintenance" program, I HIGHLY recommend going out and purchasing yourself a set of Anco/Tridon/etc. "winter blades" for the TT; Audi's stock wiper blades freeze and fill with snow VERY easily, meaning you scrape the windshield with a big block of ice and slush every time you use the wipers... :-()
Old 11-19-2000, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default How about using Rain-X on the rear window to prevent the snow from sticking?

I religiously use Rain-X on my windows and it helps prevent snow from sticking to the glass with the rear def on... though a rear wiper would obviously be more effective. And of course, a rear wiper is not an option for the TTC... yet.

As far as the front wipers, are they the full rubber boot type and how well do they fit against the windshield? The TT wipers seem to be very specifically made for the curvature of the windshield and aftermarket blades might not have that same fit.
Old 11-19-2000, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Two solutions

Turn on the rear window heater and, I find, the snow melts/slides off.

Fill your windshield washer with low temp (-40š F ) washer fluid. I never scrape the windshield, a few shots of the fluid and the ice is gone.
Old 11-19-2000, 05:03 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hmm, didn't happen to me in snow. Rear defrost worked wonderfully. When it's snowing,

I turn it on right away, so the lid is always warm. Don't wait until you have snow build-up. Also, it shuts off by itself after a set amount of time. Keep an eye on it and turn on again. Think the rain X idea is good as well, but mine's been fine without it. I clean the window and then use the spray field glaze on it. Keeps it slippery.
Old 11-19-2000, 05:06 AM

Default Follow Ak & PGTT's advice...

Rain-X + rear defroster should remove all the snow. I never had this problem last winter, except for the first few minutes before the window warmed up.

Personally, I don't like rain-x on the front window, although some people do.