TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Ice on the inside of the windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ice on the inside of the windshield?

Im located in Boston and in the past few days, I am getting a buildup of ice water water condensation on the inside of the windshield. Now, when this first happened, I thought it was because the original owner had replaced the windshield. I did have a crack in my windshield aabout a month ago, so when having my windshield replaced, I explained to the installer (who does a lot of business at the dealership I work at), said he would look into it and do a really good job at removing all the previous urethane and make sure it sits right so there are no leaks.

I can tell you that nothing ont he inside or interior was wet, so its not like the water was dissapating and collecting on the glass. In fact, my friends 02 VW GTI had the same problem.

Anyone have a solution for this? Common problem with VW/Audi's? Its becoming a real pain to have to warm up the car to the point where the ice or water disappears.

Thanks..
Old 01-19-2006, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Normal IMO.

I am driving my 3rd TTQC. I live at latitude 38 on West Coast. All of my TTQC's have had moisture buildup on inside lower edge of windsheild after a rain if the car has been outside or has gone through a car wash. I just turn on the defrosters and it goes away quickly.

It is only a guess on my part, but I think it is an idiosyncracy of the automatic climate control system and how it handles moisture buildup when the car is started or restarted when there is rain or snow.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turn off recirculation....?
Old 01-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Elder Member

rimshot
Old 01-19-2006, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Turn off recirculation....?

Steve:

Recirculation could be an issue, but my TT's have had the moisture buildup on start when the climate control is set on automatic.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't turn Econ on. You need to run the A/C to remove the moisture from the interior.

That might help. It sounds like you are heating the air in the car, and the moisture from your breath, or snow on your shoes or whatever evaporates into the warmer interior air. Then when it all cools back down it condenses on the cold glass, then freezes.

If the A/C is set to Auto it should run the compressor and remove some of that moisture.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Auto can be with or without though....>>

With it on, the moisture sticks around..
Old 01-19-2006, 01:05 PM

Neither on Recirc , Auto, or Econ. Interior is dry, no leaks as far as I can see...
Old 01-19-2006, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default OK, I'll look at mine again...

But, couple of nights ago I stopped at the dog park on the way home from work because my wife was there with our Borzoi to let Lara run. So my car was parked for about 45 minutes. It was not raining but damp and overcast from prior rain. My wife took the dog home in her car. When I started my TT to go home, I had the moisture buildup on the base of the windsheild. I am pretty sure recirculation was off, and only auto was on. It cleared quickly, as I backed out of my parking space, so I did not even bother to use defrosters. I am 99-44/100th% sure that my system is set on auto only and recirc is not on. I have the setting at 68 degrees. Outside temperature at that time of day is about 45-50 degrees.

BTW, the moisture also shows up on foggy days, of which we have many this close to SF Bay and the Pacific.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:36 PM

Default I live in Maine and we have had a warmer and wetter Winter than normal

I have had the same problem frost on the inside of the windows not only in our Audi's but also my GMC pickup. I think its just related to the weather conditions.

Quick Reply: Ice on the inside of the windshield?