TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Idea for installing a radio remote on the concert factory radio.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 08:32 PM
dcm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idea for installing a radio remote on the concert factory radio.

I have an idea (not sure if it would work but why not) of how to add a remote into the Audi factory radio. If you look at the back of the radio there is a remote in pin, this pin is used for the wired steering wheel remote on the A6.

What I am thinking is if someone with an A6 (with remote) were to put an ocilliscope on this pin and capture the input signals for the individual buttons, we could use this to make a box that would send the same signals (basically we don't need to understand the input, just copy it).

From there the individual could either make a wired remote or if he was really good with electronics they could wire in an IR eye and make a wireless remote.

Comments welcome,
dave
Old 05-11-2001, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you'd need more than just a 'scope for this.
Old 05-11-2001, 05:13 AM
dcm

Why? Should just be a signal going in? Shouldn't it?
Old 05-11-2001, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yes, but, the scope will just measure the signal. You need to replicate it...

You will need a CPU of some sort to store the signal, and change that into a push of a button.
Reverse this then.
Push a button, to get the appropriate signal out of the Stored info. in the EPROM, through the CPU, out thru the D/A converter, to produce the signal (right freq., voltage, curve, etc.) to actuate the proper command that the radio can recognize.

I worked thru this with my brother, when we tried to replicate the signals on the same head unit, to mimic the input signals of the CD changer. I wanted to add a different input into the head unit, that would trick the unit into thinking a CD changer was connected, and just tap into them the live inputs, so that the front panel 'Mode' switch would work.

You would have to capture the signals with a scope and freq. meter, turn around and burn an EPROM with those codes, create a push button apparatus then that reproduces those resulting codes, and drive it back into the head unit.

He figured a small 8-bit CPU emulator board, a corresopnding computer application to drive the emulator, a good knowledge of circiut design (he has this) and the proper equipment to put it all together, would suffice. A few hundred dollars worth of components, and the time to design it all was all that was needed.

This was more than the cost of an aftermarket CD changer.

Not worth it, IMHO.
Old 05-11-2001, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If anyone knows how to do this, I would be really interested!!