TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

I'm plenty ready. 1st, let's be ABSOLUTLELY CERTAIN of who is responsible...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2001, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe I'm just overly sensitive right now, but I have no more desire to know 'why' someone would....

commit such a despicable act against humanity than I have desire to know why any blood-thirsty, ruthless killer would murder another human being. Maybe I'm being shortsighted, but just as I couldn't care less about a murderer's 'troubled childhood' or 'lack of opportunities' or abuse growing up, there is no acceptable rationale for what was done yesterday. There comes a limit to my ability to look within to blame myself, and thus, my country. There will always be fanatics and the only way to deal with them is with brute force. (All, of course, IMHO.)
Old 09-12-2001, 10:01 AM

Default I agree... serving just/due punishment is not an emotional act.

We cannot look back at what we do as vengence. We must not be seen as retaliating. We must be seen as serving Justice, not adding fuel to the fire.
Old 09-12-2001, 10:02 AM
Elder Member

Default I'd prefer to avoid a discussion on beliefs and religion today.

That said, I can tell you that I know a large contingent of very itelligent people who believe in God. I really try to avoid stereotyping in this department. I can tell you that I don't believe in a literal biblical eteology and I do believe, very much, in science. However, no scientist can explain in any meaningful way the beginning of the existence of matter.
Old 09-12-2001, 10:15 AM

Default No, this is not the time for self-flagelating soul-searching. Nothing can mitigate the undiluted

criminality of yesterday's mass execution.
Old 09-12-2001, 10:17 AM

Not yet, anyway. :-) Agreed, another time, another place.
Old 09-12-2001, 10:24 AM
Elder Member

Default I don't think I've responded to any of your posts in anything but a rational manner.

While I'll grant you that I feel emotional about yesterday's event's, this doesn't deprive me of lucid thought. Plain and simple, I think you are wrong that the US should go on a guilt trip at a time like this.
Old 09-12-2001, 10:27 AM

Agreed
Old 09-12-2001, 10:29 AM

Definately a topic for another time..Could be an interesting exchange, however. I look forward to it
Old 09-12-2001, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was never in favor of any kind of guilt trip, now or at any other time

I don't think that the people of this country are guilty but I know that the government of this country has a lot to answer for. I would venture a guess that many people, when faced with the sight of over a million children under the age of 5 killed directly and indirectly by US force, would feel the need to respond in kind. It is these people that we need to understand. They are people just like us. They are not crazed animals. To really solve anything more than our own desire for revenge we must learn to see the world through their eyes and encourage them to see it through ours. Only then will we have any hope of this kind of destruction being a thing of the past. The administration is already preparing public opinion in the US for high casualties abroad. As justified as it is for force to be used against the people who commit yesterday's atrocities there is never a justification for killing civilians who are only trying to survive under the harshest of conditions. They are going to die in their thousands as a result of yesterday's events. Some people think that is OK (an eye for an eye) but I would tell those people that it is precicely this kind of thinking that created the fanatics whose actions we are all condemning here. They see their families die and their lands destroyed and they want to inflict the same levels of pain on the country of the people who did this to them. The cycle has to stop somewhere, right?
Old 09-12-2001, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Saddam Hussein - another example of the many terrorists put in power by the USA

Should have never put him in power in the first place, then there wouldn't be the problem of removing him.

Need more names? Noriega, Marcos spring to mind but there are many others too...

Quick Reply: I'm plenty ready. 1st, let's be ABSOLUTLELY CERTAIN of who is responsible...