TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

incredible, but depressing

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-1999, 01:13 PM
Rich

Default incredible, but depressing

I'm a recent college grad with a great job at a public relations agency and I must say, I'm obsessed with this car. I've been out to the local Audi dealership (Carousel Porsche/Audi) to look at the TT more times than I care to count. The salespeople have been uniformly pleasant, allowing me to take the TT (FWD and Q) out for a test drive any time it's available. Every time I drive the car feels better than the last. I'm wondering if there is anyone else on this forum with limited means like myself who have managed to buy a TT without ending up with a hideous monthly payment. How did you do it? Anyone have any recomendations? I do take charity.
Old 08-24-1999, 02:07 PM
John J. Szobocsan

Default Reply inside

Rich,

The best advise that I can give you is the advice that you will not want to hear. Wait before purchasing, or even leasing, an Audi TT. Ownership of an automobile is an expensive proposition. The entry price of the Audi TT at $34,000 sounds fairly reasonable when compared to the prices of Mercedes SLKs and Porsche Boxsters; however, ownership costs are high compared to an ordinary family car also priced at $34,000. Remember that insurance costs will be high and also are the price of replacement tires. You will be hard pressed to get 20,000 miles from a set (each tire is about $225). Depending on where you live you may need a set of winter tires and wheel. Allocate $1200 for this purchase. As you can see ownership is becoming more expensive than want you originally expected.

Next up, people will wantt more from you. That lithe, young thing that you have your eye will begin to expect more since you are driving a sports car. Are you prepared to spend $200-$300 per dinner to statisfy her whims. Oh, by the way, the valet where your eating your $200 dinner will expect a larger tip or the next time your prize will be parked in the gravel alley out back. Dinner is just part of the expenses that you will incurr, outfits from Tuleh are a bit pricey.

What happens when some jealous individual keys your car and the repair costs are under your deductible. That's right, it's coming out of your pocket.

I have not intentional attempted to dissuade you from considering TT ownership but I wanted to present to you a realistic view. Many people fail to perform the proper cost calculus. This is an expensive car. Remenber that Audi's demographics for the car is a 40 year-old male with a median income of $80,000. Several articles have also alluded that the median income figure is significantly lower than income figures for its competition. Ownership of this fine automobile should be a joy and not an onus.

Regards,

John

Old 08-24-1999, 02:49 PM
Fabian Mendoza

Default Re: incredible, but depressing

I am 19yrs. old and have a TT on the way. I also just bought a house on a very nice side of Des Moines. All I can say is were there's a will there's a way. Get creative and Budget,Budget,Budget,Budget,Budget,Budget,Budget,B udget,Budget,and Budget.
Old 08-24-1999, 02:54 PM
STTeve R

Default Don't despair, good things come to those who wait (if it is meant to be)...(more)

I bought a new house in March. I retired at 47 yoa. I went back to school full-time for to obtain a computer science degree. I bought a TT. The payments are steep. I will panhandle, if necessary, but really, I went out and got a part-time job to make payments. Why? I am in love for the third time in my life: first and foremost my wife of 28 years, second: the dream house I designed and had built, and three: the finest car that I have ever owned. Enough said. You'll get the TT if it is meant to be...patience sometimes helps.
Old 08-24-1999, 03:24 PM
SJO

Regretably, it will always be something that seems out of reach -- today a TT, later an F355, etc. Three simple rules: (1) No credit card debt -- EVER; (2) Afford a house before the car, its about the only write-off left, and (3) absolutely, positively, max out your 401K. If you have those three rules taken care of and you can still afford the car -- go for it! Remember, it's not what you drive, it's who you are: Sam Walton drove a pick-up and the founder of Amazon.com drives an Accord.
Old 08-24-1999, 03:55 PM
STTeve R

Default And when I'm not driving my TT, I am in my 94 Accord EX or the 90 Mazda Protege... (nt)

nt
Old 08-24-1999, 04:14 PM
jacqth

Agreed - no credit card debt - EVER !!! (nt)
Old 08-24-1999, 04:41 PM
GusS

John, how do you figure that each tire is $225? (nt)
Old 08-24-1999, 04:57 PM
Frank Van Alstine

I too have been testing the TT at Carousel in Minneapolis (a great dealer). Actually drove the TT Quattro today for the first time - makes me feel 40 years younger. Have one on order (silver TT Quattro with blue leather insides) since May and it should show up in September. Don't buy cars often, last new purchase was 1983 Quattro Turbo Coupe I drove for 18 years. Financing: easy, getting second mortgage on house. If I drop dead, the kids get to pay for it. Meanwhile, I will have all the fun.
Old 08-24-1999, 06:01 PM
Joe

Default Ramblings from a 24 y/o... (long)

Rich,

For what its worth, there is hope, but I wouldn't jump on the car too soon. I'm three years out of school, and expecting a TT. (Just got my second order number today; the first one showed up at the dealership in the wrong color). Started out three years ago with virtually no money, but pressed hard at work, and I can do the TT now.

A new performance car was in my Plan, but until June it was likely to be a less expensive Integra Type R or a Prelude SH. Then, of course, I started playing with finance numbers....

My recommendations:

--At "our age", a car with this price tag IS a marriage. I am willing to spend more than most folks on a performance car because driving to me is a religion, not just transportation. But you should budget yourself HARD. In my book, there is no difference between being $1 in the red and $10,000. Red is red. Drive your income up first, and try to stick with the old budget figures of 25% each to housing, living expenses, transportation, and savings.

--Pump everything you can into your student loan(s) first. You're probably not ready for a TT until you leap up at 3am one night realizing the loan is almost dead. (I originally planned on a car AFTER the student loan. I bent a bit, but...)

--ALWAYS stay on your budget.

Since I'm always conservative over this stuff, I also sat in front of a computer for an entire saturday afternoon, figuring out if I could afford the car according to a variety of "what if"s: "What if I decide to leave for a lower paying job?" "What if I have to get a more expensive apartment?", etc.

The lease rates, at least in CT, are so close to finance rates it'd be silly to lease in my opinion.

Three things to remember: (and I promise I'm almost done!)

--What if that job isn't so great after six months? (Trust me; three months into my first corporate job the company's stock made like a toilet bowl, and the environment went south very fast!)

--Assuming you have a roommate for a while, plan a budget as if you have to cover the rent alone. If you don't have a roomate, get one. Earmark half of what you save for a downpayment, and put the rest into savings (permanently)...

Good luck!!

Quick Reply: incredible, but depressing