TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Installed a K&N airfilter and replaced Bailey with a Forge(question for Forge owners).

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2001, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed a K&N airfilter and replaced Bailey with a Forge(question for Forge owners).

Last Friday, I swapped a brand new stock paper air filter(from my 30,000 service a 3 days before) for a K&N Airfilter, and swapped my Bailey with 10,000 miles on it, for a Forge valve. I put the Forge valve in the same orientation as the Bailey, and I reset my ECU. I have over 1000 miles on the setup now.

WOW! I wish I had done each mod by itself because now I have more noticeable power, and the car is silky smooth. My guess is that with my K04 turbo and UUC exhaust, I needed more air and the K&N helped supply that. I don't see the Forge making that big of a difference over the Bailey. I've always been very leary of the claims that K&N provides, but I can honestly say it made a difference in my car and its NOT in my head.

Two questions on the Forge. Which orientation is everyone installing it? I installed mine with the vacuum line and boost line in the same plane. Do any owners with it in this orientation have a metallic high pitch "cheeee" noise when they lift off the gas/shift at full boost?

I'm still evaluating the Forge valve, but I have a feeling I will be selling the Bailey for cheap sometime in the near future. I think I will put the Bailey back in again, and see if that new power difference came from the Forge or the K&N.
Old 01-03-2001, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jenner, I had installed the K & N filter some time ago and

didn't notice much diff... however the Forge produced a big difference over the stock DV. It was so "smooth" that even my wife, who is not a car nut like the rest of us, commented on it. This was from the passenger's seat, she was not driving at the time, come to think of it she has never driven MY TT. She said the car felt smoother and sounded smoother... and this was without any promting on my part. Certainly the TT now has a feeling of more power, it is possible that the stock DV had degraded and I just didn't notice that. In addition to the K & N and the Forge, I also have had the Borla installed for the last year or so.
Old 01-03-2001, 08:40 AM

Default I replaced my *Rally* valve with the normal Forge valve last night and.....

I pulled the ole' TT out of the garage for a last day rendezvous before the TT goes in the body shop tommorow (and too see how the Forge was working)

After talking to Bob @ Stratmosphere yesterday at length about the subject of orientation, I installed mine the way that the factory had it. Bob said that they have installed it both ways and it worked either way but it seemed to work better the factory way.

I know this had been said a 1000 times but WHAT A FREAKIN DIFFERENCE!!! I cannot believe how different the Forge valve reacts and *smooths* out acceleration over the OEM Audi DV and the Porsche DV I put in.

I really only bought the Forge in order to save the headaches of constantly trying to get *revised* versions of the OEM DV, I wasn't expecting to have any performance or drivability improvements but they were just bonuses!!!!

I am not saying that the Forge is better than the Bailey (right, just like Lake Silver isn't the fastest color...lol) because I haven't compared the two back to back, i am simply stating that it is a much better piece than either the Audi or Porsche DV

Jenner, Are you sure that you aren't hearing a faint *whoosh* sound of the DV releasing the boost? I became very pronounced with the addition of the P-Flo, maybe the K&N while free-er flowing is also not as good of a sound insulator
Old 01-03-2001, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Definately have a woosh, worse under harder acceleration.
Old 01-03-2001, 09:14 AM
Elder Member

Same thoughts on Forge....so much more smooth...
Old 01-03-2001, 09:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Install Forge with side port to turbo pressure side and base to return side...

which should be exactly opposite to how you had the Bailey installed (base to pressure side). Three of us with MTM ECU have been trying out Bailey and Forge and in various orientations...install Forge as I describe for best results...
Old 01-03-2001, 09:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Forge will have a 'chufffff' aka whoosh if running with chip but...

noise is louder if orientation is incorrect. See my response to Jenner within this thread.
Old 01-03-2001, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ak, I was very skeptical about the claims K&N makes about their filters, but I also think it depends

on the setup one runs and what type of car.

I've done several improvements to interal airflow(larger turbo and chip) and to the exit airflow of the car(large 3" UUC exhaust) but I haven't done anything to help with the entry airflow. I looked at several air intakes, but I don't want a kit that grabs hot air from the engine bay, so I figured until something comes along that I like, I'd try the $50 K&N.

I imagine that a stock 180 TT wouldn't feel a difference with JUST a K&N. With a chip, or chip and exhaust, they might notice a small gain, but with the setup I am running, pushing 260hp, I can tell that it has made a difference as the airbox was(and still is in a way) a restriction in the system. The reason I waited until now to do it, was because I wanted that brand new filter from the dealership to see if just having a CLEAN paper filter would yeild the same affect as a brand new CLEAN K&N.

I doubt that the Forge valve gave me an improvement over the Bailey. Forge or Bailey vs. stock DV, yes. Vs. each other I don't see how more power could be gained from one or the other. In order to prove this I am going to put my bailey back in. If there is a sudden drop in power I will be amazed/shocked and report my findings about the forge here.
Old 01-03-2001, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is a good place to buy performace parts?

I want to install a Forge DV and a new air filter system (don't know which is best yet). Where is a good place to buy them? I don't plan on chipping my TT, buy I do want to make it as smooth as possible.

Also, where can I get technical manuals for my TTQC? Is Audi selling 2001 manuals yet?
Old 01-03-2001, 10:22 AM

TTkguy, Forge =www.stratmosphere.com

Quick Reply: Installed a K&N airfilter and replaced Bailey with a Forge(question for Forge owners).