TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Intake Manifold, how much can I bore out before it gets scary?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Manifold, how much can I bore out before it gets scary?

Since nobody has a aftermarket intake manifold for my car, I'm seriously considering taking the intake manifold I have and boring it out. How much can I actually bore before I risk collapsing it?

Does anyone know how much porting cost?

What type of shop would do this for me? TIA

Extruded hone might be a safer option Jason...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Use the money for a custom downpipe....

boring out the Intake will get you minimal gains for the cost and is less important on a forced induction motor
Old 01-23-2002, 03:08 PM

Default Portin and Polishing is an art... I would go the extrude honed route cause

when they force the abbrasive sludge through it, you get a pretty even result. Remember if its plished to far down it can interupt the fuel and cause poor atomization, you get fuel falling out of the air mix and other nasty stuff. One company which is known for great port and polishing is Don Paramore out of California, mainly a Honda Acura shop....but Ive heard theyve done some really crazy work for people. I myself would spend the money on a downpipe and get it ceramic coated... would probably leave the head alone, unless I knew someone who had done alot of Audis before.... Dont try this at home with a dremel
Old 01-23-2002, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What is too far? How do they calculate, "too far" and not enough?

Plus, I'm gonig to be getting a DP and Cat done on my car as soon as I get back from China. I just thought I give this a try and see if it does anything. Anyone know how much its going to cost to Extrude Hone?
Old 01-23-2002, 03:59 PM

Doing a search of previous posts shows a cost of $400 and 5-7 day turnaround
Old 01-23-2002, 04:02 PM

Default Its not an exact figure....thats why its real important you go to someone good

to get it done. But gotta agree with Hottub on this, most of the work ive seen done has been for NA cars. I would go extrude honed if you really want this kind of thing. Have you thought about having your rods polished and micro balanced and possibly adding titanium custom valves with a 5 angle job (swirled, stress relieved and polished) The main thing is that unless you are planning to run some really crazy boost you might find that although this stuff is really cool, you might not be happy with the return on your investment. For the amount of money I would dump the 180 motor and install a 225 then get a custom ceramic turbo with big boost, possibly using water injection into the manifold to prevent detonation. Specialy engine work is both a long process and can be very expensive. ALso are emissions a concern in your area?>?? cause some of this stuff might make you not road legal.... depends on who does it.... but theres plenty of people out there who will gladly take your money and do a crap job....I mean its easy to take out metal...its the putting it back if you grind to far which is the hard bit...
Old 01-23-2002, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm just thinking of things that i can do that doesn't go into the engine....

THat is straight bolt on. I already decided on a T3/T4 turbo, so that means, I would already have a exhaust manifold, DP, Cat done, along with Injectors, FPR, FMIC(or side mount, I might go with this instead) and fuel rails. I might have to do a clutch, but i have no clue how much the TT's clutch can handle. I know the VW golfs are not good.

So besides those bolt on, there isn't too many things left.

I'll probably start with everything in preparation for the t3/t4 turbo, like the SMIC and clutch
Old 01-23-2002, 04:19 PM

yeah but thats the whole thing though....bolt on, only takes you so far...
Old 01-23-2002, 05:13 PM

Default Extrude Hone can do it for around $375 or so. You can pick up 20cfm per runner.

I would use EH. They are the best at intake manifolds.

Do you have all they stuff you can do to the turbo system? If not then keep spending money on that first, you'll get farther.

Bret

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold, how much can I bore out before it gets scary?