TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Intake Manifold, how much can I bore out before it gets scary?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There are aftermarket intakes available - quite expensive - but they are out there - the stock is

pretty thin and there isn't much to gain. Dahlback has one - but I have no idea what it would cost or what level of tune the engine would need to be at to take advantage of it. The car it's on runs over 500hp.
Old 01-23-2002, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: getting to big can be a problem (longish)

I have exp with porting. For many years I owned a machine shop that specilized in cylinder head work particularly on super stock NHRA drag cars. What we found is larger is not always better. Velocity of the intake charge has a lot to due with how the power band is. However with forced induction this is of some less importance.

It has been quite a few years now since I have played with race cars but I belive it was about some 15 or 16 years ago when extrude honing first came into vouge in the automotive aftermarket. I Know some of the first extrude honed items I checked on the flow bench at the time were **** poor and found that someone who knew what they were doing with a burr had much better success. The Proccess may have improved since then but i found them geting stuff way to big for the particular application. In other words the air was way to slow. Typically the slower the air the more RPM it takes to be able to use the extra volume or CFM.

Intakes in general can be very tempermental and I would suggest doing nothing untill you can do some pretty extensive reserch. A mistake can be costly not only in money but performance.