TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Integra Type vs Audi TT

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2000, 08:48 AM
LurkerTT

Default Yabbut, TT costs a substantial amount more than an ITR

Type R is about $24,500
TT is over $30,000 (in S2000 territory)

Type R wins bang for the buck.
Old 01-10-2000, 08:51 AM
LarryTT

Well said Jim!!
Old 01-10-2000, 08:55 AM
LarryTT

Default He never asked about bang for the buck comparison!

Besides, a bang for the buck comparison is still subjective. It will still come down to which car is built better and drives better and looks better. In all 3 instances the TT wins hands down!

The two cars are going after totally different market segments. Ask yourself this question, which car seems to be UNDER priced to you? If you answer the TT then you are infact getting a better bang for your buck. If you say the Type R go and get your head examined! LOL

My further $.02

Larry
180TTQ
Old 01-10-2000, 09:04 AM
LurkerTT

Default Doesnt everyone consider cost when buying?

Otherwise, why not get a McLaren F1. The TT is about $7-8000 more than a Type R. You could do ALOT with that $8000. Cars arent about just looks. Besides, some punk recently said my TT looked like a squashed VW Beetle!!

The TT is a better car than the Type R, not disputing that, but the price difference doesnt justify it. I could get an S2000 for what my TT cost me.
Old 01-10-2000, 09:50 AM
Jim Torongo

Default Hey, 1st let me say I am a fan of GSRs/ Type Rs or I wouldn't own one or spend so much time working

on modifications. The TT cost alot more that the type R, and you know what, it shows. I live with these cars and drive them day in and out. The TT is so much better you could price it at $41,000 and I'd think the price was in line compared to the Type R. This say's alot about the TT's value, and I think it's a bargin at $31500 for a FWD coupe. When I talked about parts I ment every part, just for example:TT steering wheel 9- GSR 7, washer spray TT 9- GSR 4, headlights TT 10 GSR 6, floor mats TT 9- GSR 7, Ash tray TT 8- GSR 3, interior lights TT 10- GSR 5, seats TT 10- GSR 7, clutch feel TT 8- GSR 5....I could just keep going with this. The bottom line is the TT is a better equiped better built car. If I was in the market for a car but could only afford $22,000 I would go for the GSR but if you can afford a TT it's a much better and far more satisfying package. JIM
Old 01-10-2000, 10:32 AM
John TT

But then you'd have to drive an S2000 instead of a TT!
Old 01-10-2000, 10:36 AM
LarryTT

Default But with that S2000 it would still not be as well built as the TT!

It would also look like other cars on the road. You would be dealing with what I consider to be the same short-comings of the Type R.

Jim spelled most of them out, from build quality to fit and finish to materials. The list is endless.

What my point was, if you are going to compare two ttoally different cars, then compare them fairly. The Type R is a Boy-racer. The TT is highly refined sports car. There is a HUGE difference between the two. Keep in mind that the two car companies are going after different market segments too.

My point about the price of the two cars is this. What is the MOST you would be willing to pay for a Type R? My guess is nowhere near $30,000. Now, how much would you be willing to pay for a TT? $45, $50, even up to $60,000? I have had people think that I spent around $60,000 for my TT. The CEO of the company where I am working thought I was "flaunting" my wealth when I drove up in the car! He had no idea that teh car cost me just under $35,000. That is my point, nobody would ever think you had a $30,000 Honda! (I know, Acura).

Larry
180TTQ
Old 01-10-2000, 11:15 AM
Anthony C.

Default Re: TT and Type R in the same auto X class

The type R dominates G stock in autocross. G stock has mitsubishi eclipse GSX, suburu impreza, v6 mustangs, Audi S4, BMW 5 series. The TT is now in G-stock, we will see how it fares in the upcoming season.

Maybe the TT will get moved to compete in super stock against BMW M coupes, 911 turbos etc.

In case you don't know, autocross is about torque and handling (mostly handling).
Old 01-10-2000, 11:39 AM
Jim Torongo

Default John did you read MT's review in the new Issue?

They gave the car a pretty good review but said it is not that good of a real world car. They got great 0-60 and ¼ mile times but said they had to dump the clutch with the motor at the rev limiter and shift at the rev limiter to get them. They ran the S2000 from a more real world 5500 rpm dump up to 5500rpm for shifting in each gear and netted an 11 second plus 0-60 time; ouch. We know the TT will pull like a bull in that rpm range and in fact I think 5800 in the shift point for maximum acceleration. The bottom line (I hate that phrase) is the S2000 while a great track car, is not a car for the average or mature driver (who wants acceleration but doesn't want to look like a high school senior to get it). JIM
Old 01-10-2000, 12:09 PM
John TT

Default I did & heck, my old 92 hp '89 Civic DX Hatch was faster than that >

without dumping at all!! C&D also said a few months ago something along the lines of "in order to get close to mid-5's 0-60 times, you need to do things that would get you on a very personal relationship with your repair man."

Certainly, the more I read about it, the less and less interesting it becomes and the more I think Honda built the car like they did for marketing and brand image.

Quick Reply: Integra Type vs Audi TT