TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Integra Type vs Audi TT

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2000, 01:08 PM
LarryTT

Default John is that the fwd or Q in G Stock?

Where did you read this? Also what are the SP, P and Modified classes for both versions of the car?

Do you know the effects a Chip will have on a TTQ? I will have a Garrett, Borla and H&R Sport Springs.

Larry
180TTQ
Old 01-10-2000, 01:30 PM
LurkerTT

Default I think the fwd is in G Stock, and Q is in A Stock...

Dont quote me though.
Old 01-10-2000, 03:59 PM
Joe

Default Exactly where I was in June. Now, two months with my TTQ, and I'm still there. (More!)

I love high revving engines, and knew that the TT would not be that type of performer. It's built to be a torquer, rather than a twister. I never test drove a Type-R (production was on hiatus last year), but the first time I saw a TT on a showroom floor I knew I wanted one. There was no comparison at all in the styling; the TT is asthetically perfect. Period.

Both cars are built on economy platforms, if that means anything, but on paper a FWD TT is a strong alternative, offering much more model-unique engineering over its modest platform. As a Quattro driver, I think the TTQ is in another league than the Type-R. This is both good and bad.

The TTQ's handling is top notch, with a perfect neutral balance, but every time I flog the car I wonder if car with less steller absolute limits might be a lot more fun--you can actually explore those limits without risking as much expense or chance of serious injury, because you are playing at lower speeds. You can't measure "fun", and "better numbers" after a point do not necessarily translate into "more fun".

A Type-R will smoke a TTQ in acceleration. And, realizing that my view is somewhat off center--is midrange torque really all THAT important when a car's shifter is this precise? It *isn't* an automatic transmission, after all. Why not enjoy it for what it is?

Build quality (at least what the normal eye can see) of the TT is far superior -- but I'd bet heaps of money that the (Civic-based) Type-R is on average a much more reliable car over the long haul.

Ultimately, if it is TTQ vs Type-R, the decision will depend on what matters to you: a somewhat innocuous-looking car with certain economy-car traits but performance that exhillarates, or a car with breathtaking beauty but a mixed bag of performance.

It's not an easy decision, and two month's after taking delivery of my TTQ, I still live there. Virtually every time I pull into a gas station, I wind up with people around the TTQ leering at it. But then, when they inevitably comment about how fast it looks, I need to either lie and grin, or swallow and concede that their Camry will probably leave it in the dusk (and perhaps get better fuel economy while doing so).

In the TT's defense, mine seems to be a less than hearty example. While I do feel that the TT's Damn-ITT's-perfect styling has resulted in a lack of objectivity over aspects of the car, it IS an outstanding value for the money. It is more of a luxury car than a sports car, however.