TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Intercooler experts and opinions Dual vs. FMIC

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooler experts and opinions Dual vs. FMIC

I know this has been talked about before but here's my scenario and questions, I currently have the T28 on my B6 A4. I'm running the Dual IC's. But wonder if a good FMIC might be better, to keep intake temps down, in order to advance the timing as much as possible, without detonation. That's my main concern. The 91 oct we have here in CA is so crappy, you have to keep intake temps down as much as possible.

Has anyone out there besides Greedspeed done real tests. Dual vs. FMIC. Would a FMIC be better with this turbo setup? I've asked most of the tuners who I trust and more lean toward the FMIC, but a few others say the Dual's are fine.

I know the 225HP TT has a Dual setup, can you guys tell me which one you think is better for a bigger turbo setup like mine?
Old 01-20-2004, 02:28 PM

Default Definitely FMIC...

hands down better cooling.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:51 PM

Default I see you went with the OCT FMIC, I really like their products

I'm going with their FMIC as well. Did you originally have the Duals?
Old 01-20-2004, 02:54 PM

Default Dual IC setup yielded 93% cooling efficiency according to ECS Tuning...

and a Vortexer who installed setup on his APR St. III, GTI. I will try to find you the thread. It is pretty comprehensive on the subject.

I don't think there is much to choose from between those two options in terms of cooling capacity.
If you only had a single SMIC and were considering your options, there could be some performance-related concerns, depending on your turbo and the rest of your setup, if you went for Dual IC; namely, pressure drop and/or what your system mightautomatically do to try to compensate for it.
I still think it's a good setup, and have spoken to a few people who have converted to the dual IC, because it interests me. None of them had serious pressure drops, some relocated the MAP sensor to avoid that issue entirely, and their turbos apparently lived to tell the tale.

I really like the idea of using off the shelf VW/Audi components where it can be helpful, and like the "stealth" look. Those would be my main reasons for going Dual IC, though some have also questioned what having the FMIC in front of your radiator will do for your oil and coolant temps. Have not heard of any horror stories there, either.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:00 PM

Default and here is the link I referred to.

<ul><li><a href="http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=276133">http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=276133</a</li></ul>
Old 01-20-2004, 03:02 PM

Default Interesting,so the FMIC could possibly affect coolant and Oil temps?

What about all the extra hoses and sharp turns that they make with the Dual Setup? Also the plastic connectors, they're so set back in the engine bay? It's a hard call, I respect both sides or the issue. Anyone done any dyon comparisons? Please post the thread on ECS.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:14 PM

Default Yes I had their duals...

What sold me on theirs was the design and the price. At the time it was much cheaper than forge, and it had superior cooling, cast end tanks, etc.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:15 PM

Default I have an oil temp gauge and the temps have not risen...

not that I'm not going to an external one anyway, but I do think that coolant temps are raised while sitting due to a bit less airflow.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:17 PM

Default You can't believe those #'s...

first of all, the turbo is smaller than ours. And he's comparing to a single IC.. and doesnt' account for pressure drop either.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:26 PM

Default So cast end tanks are better, for flow, cooling?

Also their's is a "bolt on" setup all the right parts are there, no need to fab anything, there is some cutting of one area though on an a4.

Quick Reply: Intercooler experts and opinions Dual vs. FMIC