TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Interior lights on - reason & fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2000, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior lights on - reason & fix

Some have posted this before, but it happened to me last week. I left the door open for over 15 minutes while detailing the car and when I closed them, the interior light wouldn't go off and the doors wouldn't lock, and alarm non functional.
And yes, I think the TT thinks the doors are still open. Here's how to fix (reset):
Get in the car, start the engine and lock the doors with the console lock button. Turn engine off and get out and close the door.
Everything should work fine now, try your remote and lock the car, as soon as you do the interior light should extinguish.
Old 10-07-2000, 05:32 AM
TP

That fixes the symptom but not the problem.
Old 10-07-2000, 05:42 AM
Elder Member

Default This was a problem in the ignition module when it happened to me!

It's part of the ignition switch in the steering column.
Old 10-07-2000, 07:32 AM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I agree with TP below...

This is a rather common problem, and there is a defect of some sort. It seems to surround the central locking mechanism, which controls the affected areas. Currently, there does not appear to be a fix. I really wish Audi would figure out how to repair some of these recurring problems.
Old 10-07-2000, 12:36 PM

Default I'll trade you my car with the interior lights that won't turn ON... (more)

Get in the car at work, lock the doors with the console button, start the car, drive to White Castle. :-) When I try to turn on the interior light or either map light, nothing happens. If I pull the driver's inside door handle ONCE to unlock the door, the lights start working. The door doesn't even need to be opened, just unlocked.

I'm writing it off as a logic error in the electrical system, and ASSume that
everyone else's cars do the same thing.
Old 10-07-2000, 06:10 PM

I don't know of a car that it DOESN'T happen in.
Old 10-07-2000, 10:16 PM
Elder Member

Default Sorry for the shouting, BUT THAT IS A FIXABLE PROBLEM.

Mine was fixed. It was a missing or bad ground in the Central Locking Module.

Sometimes people seem to post this issue and either don't explain it as well as you did or have a similar but different issue. You described exactly what my car and every other TT at the last (and I mean last) TT Club of America Rally did upon testing. As of then (April 2000) Audi knows about it and knows how to fix it. Sometimes the bad ground is in a different place along the frame. In my case and others the ground wire was screwed into the frame OVER PAINT.

The reason I shouted is that I explain this about every two weeks but nobody ever posts back that they had theirs fixed. So if you did, please do!

Old 10-08-2000, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I posted back when I picked up my car, they FIXED MINE, possibly BECAUSE of your posts!

My 225 TTQC had this problem when I went to test drive it before pick-up in August. I told them about the problem and gave them a copy of your post and they had it fixed when it was ready to pick up (I had the dealer install the CD changer and a clear bra, so they fixed it then...)
Old 10-08-2000, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Brad, I don't understand why you say that...

Other than the lock/light problem I have had <b>no</b> other problems with the central locking mechanism. As far as I know, fixing the "symptom" (e.g. adding/fixing the ground) does indeed fix the problem...
Old 10-08-2000, 07:16 AM
Elder Member

Thanks, Bill. I feel better now and will keep repeating myself for the greater good.

Quick Reply: Interior lights on - reason & fix