TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Intro to TT. A few simple questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intro to TT. A few simple questions.

I'll start by saying that I currently own a 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo that very soon will be show quality. I'm sure many of you have your opinions on Japanese imports (as do I), but I assure you, this is not a "More Faster and Furiouser" car. At this moment, the Quattro TT is the only vehicle I would consider as a replacement. However, I don't see myself ever parting with the MR2, so that's irrelevant. I'm simply feeling out the TT and looking for some basic info in order to start research.

Q1: What part of the VIN indicates the Quattro and 225HP trim levels?

Q2: Does it make more sense to pay a little more for the 225 or get there with aftermarket upgrades?

Q3: With the MR2, '91 was the first year, so in '93 alot of the "new model kinks" were worked out, and then some cosmetic changes ocurred in '94. 1995 was the last year it was imported, and there are less than 400 in the country. What changes has the TT seen since its inception? Are there any specific factory upgrades that I want to be certain that I get?

I'm sure this is all documented on the web somewhere, so if there's a good page of links out there, I'd like to see that as well. Thank you!

By the way, why no UBB type forum??? Sorry so long!
Old 12-27-2003, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I can answer questions 2 and 3 in my own opinion.

I really don't know about question one and have never taken the time to find out. While my answers are my own opinion, I am sure others will have different views, but I will go ahead and say it anyway. Q2: I would spend a little more and buy the factory 225 and not go the other route. I have heard that the 225 engine is a bit stronger in design to handle the extra horsepower. While I have not seen any proof, I just like the idea of having a stock 225 engine that having a chipped 180 that might make 225hp or 230hp. Q3: If you are going to buy a used TT, I would not consider buying anything older than an '02 model year. This is the point where there have been fewer problems with the car from what I have heard. While it would be to your benifit to get an '03 or even '04 money matters will factor into this and it is all what "you" can afford. Some changes include the addition of the 225hp engine in the '01 model year along with the factory 6 speed that goes hand in hand with the 225. The early 180's only got a 5 speed and I am not completely sure if you can get a new TT with a 180 6 speed or not as I have never seen one. Homelink was added on the '02 model years as well as a few new colors. The biggest change is obviously the addition of the 250hp V-6 with the DSG transmission for the '04 model year. There have been other new wheel options from year to year but nothing really significant. -Doug
Old 12-27-2003, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agree with these and add that the resale value on these is plummeting at an astonishing rate>>

The 03s still have $10 to $12k to loose over the next 12months...even if they are not driven at all during that period.

The 02s are now past that hump and will probably only loose $5k under the same conditions and over the same period.

01s are now relatively cheap in the low $20Ks, but they seem to be plagued by electrical problems.

I've had my early 02 (built Aug 01) 225 Roadster for 5 months.
At 15,000 miles it has yet to exhibit even one of the common electrical problems other owners complain of constantly.
I think(hope)that those problems were assciated with 00s and 01s...so I'd say that a low mileage 02 is probably the best place to jump in.

And don't bother with a 180. I personally can't understand why it's even offered. My 255 scared my pants off when I first bought it, but now it's starting to feel a little...Ho Hum.

But then again...the damn cops won't let me use the speed anyway.So I guess I should have bought a Geo Metro.

Dan
Old 12-27-2003, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Geo!?!?! Say it ain't so, LOL!
Old 12-27-2003, 08:43 PM

Default If you're looking for more bang for your buck... (#2)

The general census is to get a 180hp car and put an APR Stage III kit on it. Gets you way over a 225 for about the same amount of money.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you live up north here...You'll really appreciate heated leather seats. >>

And they come in a package with HID headlights, which the world managed to do without for 80 yrs, but now seem to impress teenagers...if that's important to you.

The Bose audio package is subpar and tricky to get rid of, which you WILL want to do eventually

I'm told(dont have them)that the NAV option is practically useless unless you're the type who actually misses the DOS command line interface.
And that the integrated phone option only works with an Audi proprietary version of the Motorola V60, so when it wears out,or you lose it,you'll be paying "Audi prices" for an obsolete model.

The 225 Quattro engine,drivetrain,and suspension are more or less the same from 01 thru 04.
03 added some small "enhancements" like Variable Valve Timing, but it's still just 225Hp so that apparently just added complexity for the sake of complexity. Engineers gotta eat too,I guess.

The new 3.2 V6 is unproven and personally I don't think it's going to be much of a hit.
The reviews I seen have not been kind. A 225 with very minor mods is faster and lighter.
It's only offered with a 6 speed automatic called the DSG.
The DSG transmission is already at the limit of what it can handle in terms of horsepower, thus precluding any horsepower mods to the engine.

They recently released a 6 speed manual version in Europe.
That may prove interesting if and when they bring here.

Yes, I love my TT. I just don't think I like Audi.

Dan
Old 12-27-2003, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

it aint so!
Old 12-27-2003, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How does 180 Stg.III rank up against 225 with a chip and all bolt-ons?
Old 12-28-2003, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 180 Stg.III is pushing 300 hp& 300 ft-lbs on 93 oct. - well over on 100 octane --

you can't touch that with a 225 & chip and bolt-ons currently (depending on you definition of "bolt-on). Plus if the 180 is FWD it'll be over 300 lbs lighter than a quattro.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Car history like mine!

I had a 1993 MR-2 and also hated to get rid of it, so my son has it now. Great car, but after 9 years as a daily driver and with long trips increasing I decided to go for a little more comfort and got a 2002 TT Quattro Coupe. The 180 version was guite enough for me, although I didn't have the turbo MR-2 like you do. Advantages of the 180 are MUCH lower insurance rates here in NJ, better fuel economy, and still plenty of power all across the band. I love the TT, as I did the MR-2. I still get to see the MR-2 almost every day, even though it's my son's now. He lets me drive it when I ask!

Good luck whatever you decide.

Quick Reply: Intro to TT. A few simple questions.