TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

ISO Power Steering Pump Replacement Info/Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISO Power Steering Pump Replacement Info/Help

Hi,

Mine broke so I'm planning on doing this repair to save $1K as it doesn't seem especially complex from what I've read. So far I have the following from a 2003 post by markbradford...is there any more info anyone has like a detailed DIY with pics (I'm probably dreaming). Anyone in the DC area do this?

"Yank the bumper and move the front end to service position.

Drain the power steering fluid by removing both lines leading into the pump. HAVE REPLACEMENT HOSE CLAMPS READY CAUSE THE CURRENT ONES ARE ONE TIME USE CRIMP CLAMPS.

With a pair of vice grips, realease the tension on the accessory belt and remove the belt, noting the direction of travel - the belt MUST be put back on in the same orientation. Next, remove the short belt that goes from the PS pump to the H20 pump. Then, if I recall correctly, you need to remove the pulley from the PS pump by sticking something in the hole in the pulley to stop it from rotating, and removing the 3 (4?) hex bolts that hold the pulley in place. Next remove all the bolts holding the pump in place and remove the pump.

PRIME THE NEW PUMP BY POURING THE NEW PS FLUID INTO IT AND ROTATING IT. If you don't do this the pump will cavitate and burn out. Anyway - repeat the above in reverse until everything is good to go. fill the fluid through the reservoir and then get int he car, start it up, and take the wheel from lock to lock 10 times - this will bleed any air from the PS system. Make sure to have someone putting fluid in as you do this."
Old 01-05-2005, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good info.