TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

I've had 2 Bailey DV's fail now.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've had 2 Bailey DV's fail now.

I put in the first one shortly after I got the car in 2000, after the coke bottle noise and the loss of performance of the OEM valve became unbearable (this was before the Forge unit became available). Last year, after 2 years of use, the Bailey failed, and the dealership put in the N version of the Bosch valve, and charged me for off-warranty repair. I also got the lecture about modifying, but my dealership is pretty nice to me so it wasn't too bad. Todd of AWE Tuning stood by the Bailey and sent me a replacement, so I swapped that in. Just this weekend, though, one year later, the 'check engine' light came on again, along with the slight but tell-tale slugginess that denotes an early DV failure. I've put back in the OEM part, and the CEL did not come back on. I guess I'll keep the OEM valve in now unless it starts to go bad, because I am on a lease and I plan to get the 3.2 anyway when the lease is up. Kind of bummed that two different Bailey units have failed now, though.

Question: Does anything need to be done by the dealer since the CEL did come on, or can I assume that since it did not come on again that all is well?
Old 07-14-2003, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had one of the first failures, running Hyperboost now.

I had one of the first failed Bailey's, I took a picture from the inside bottom which showed the diaphram material was clearly melted. It took forever to get the replacement and I ended up giving it away as I did not want to take any chances.

Replaced it with a Forge from Stratmospre and recently switched to a Hyperboost adjustable DV. Used the Forge for over two years and never had any problems but I like the ability to fine tune the Hyperboost - which is excellent!