TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

I've held my toungue long enough on the latest OT debates..........

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've been around since JT started the site (pre TT) and he was asking for donations to buy server ..

capacity - that has to be about 5 years ago when I had my A4

IMHO some of the OT items have no real place or relevance on the board and would be better served with e-mail between the individuals involved
Old 02-27-2003, 01:36 PM

Default Well put. Have to say I feel much the same way. After all,

what would this forum be without any posters? Or with only totally on-topic stuff? Not much, IMNSHO. In fact, it would probably resemble the SLK forum. They get (maybe) 3 new questions PER DAY on a good day, and the moderators/"hosts" there slam people who happen to ask about an E55 AMG without marking the post as off-topic. (Doesn't matter that it's a Benz, it's not an SLK.) Or newbies are told to do a search (versus here where there often is friendly competition to see who can find the answer and provide the reference most quickly). Or people who are intimidated off of the forum by the "hosts" because they talk about their "kills" and "roads are not made for racing."

Without the posts that come naturally from this community, this would be a pretty boring place, and I'm sure most people would quickly find better, more interesting things to do and other ways to keep in contact with the friends they've already made here.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hear! Hear! well said This is a family and families need rules We'll all be better for this soon!
Old 02-27-2003, 01:43 PM
Elder Member

Default Frankly, I'm not sure that I do but I'm glad you responded >>>>

First of all, I'm not attacking you or your policies and I think you know that I've supported you (and hope to continue doing so).

There is a fear and perhaps a risk that more aggressive moderating (for lack of a better term) will lead to a more sterile environment. Yes, it's easy for me to sit back and ignore threads without the bandwidth issue with which you must address. Unfortunately, it is much easier to moderate any OT thread than it is to selectively moderate only certain ones. To be sure, there are some threads that have no place here (the few that the "cop hater" currently in Canada posted is a good example).

I waited until until now to post my thoughts because I didn't want to judge the situation too quickly. Having read through most (if not all) of the opinions expressed, I see a potential problem because there appears to be a looming wholesale change in the administration of this site. Your response to me indicates otherwise and I think that will go a long way towards "settling" peoples concerns but the concerns are still there.

All I am doing is expressing my feelings on this forum and on how I perceive the people and the friendships I've made here. I know you started this forum with a vision, mission and anticipated topical parameters and I understand that from your point of view, it is no longer the forum that you may have envisioned. That said, it is still by far the best place for technical advice and discussions on the internet. You've accomplished much more than what you may have planned. I hope you can feel good about that and feel good that you've brought a lot of people together.

Yes, some of us act up from time to time and need to be addressed. Some topics are posted that need to be deleted.... but in reality, the majority of "questionable" OT posts just need to ignored and your filtering options provide for that.

I don't have the answers but I do understand your concerns. I only hope you understand my friends (and I know that you do).
Old 02-27-2003, 01:44 PM
Rest In Peace

Default Joel: I agree with you 100%. I've made alot of friends here

And alot from OT postings. Can't keep a forum all business, then there is no fun involved.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:48 PM
Elder Member

True (not so sure about the OT Poster Boy title though)
Old 02-27-2003, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yo! What's up? :o)

As I have always said, and as I'm finding I'm having to defend at this particular juncture in my life, is that it's not really about "the car".
While the car is cool and a blast to experience, the coolest part of it was finding this community that shares my passions, accepts me as a friend and allows me to feel like I have a circle of support that goes far beyond "the car".
This is why we have members like the Pope that don't even own "the car" on the forum. "The car" is what drew us together, but it's the "US" that keeps us here.

As for Jason's comment, I totally agree. The freedom of speech side of me asks who gets to decide what is nonsense and what is not? Balancing moderation with censorship is a delicate act and not a challenge that I would want to deal with. It's a tough problem for Jason to deal with, I'll give you that.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Off topic.. Come on lets stick to the real issues at hand.. the damm car..
Old 02-27-2003, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

A well crafted and convincing closing (hopefully!) argument. Thanks Counselor!
Old 02-27-2003, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Founder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my basic point, thank you

Quick Reply: I've held my toungue long enough on the latest OT debates..........