TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Jacking up the TT part two---

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2000, 07:50 AM
Jim Torongo

Default Jacking up the TT part two---

I made a post about jacking up the TT about a month ago, I had made a 'load spreader' out of wood because the jack location was the same place the jack stand needed to go, at least that's what I thought. Well my trip to the Tire Rack revealed how they jack up the car and you don't need any thing special to do it. The Audi owners manual is VERY unclear as to where jacking points are, it alludes to two but I for one didn't get it until I saw the Tire rack do it. There are two positions for the in car spare tire Y jack just in back of the front wheels and just ahead of the rear wheels. These are not vary wide so a floor jack takes up the whole space and you can't jack farther towards the middle with a floor jack or you will crush the body seam flange (if you get down on the ground and take a look you will see). Well inboard from the two aforementioned jack points about 12 inches are beam flanges about an inch and a half wide. You can jack the car up using these and position jack stands there with no trouble. It is easier if you have two floor jacks and a helper so you jack up the front then the rear of the car. I'm sure those of you who work on Audis know this but being my first I didn't get it. What I was doing worked, it's just that it was unnecessary. JIM
Old 02-15-2000, 09:43 AM
Bob

Thanks, Jim. Very helpful stuff!
Old 02-15-2000, 04:23 PM
IslOMan

Default still confused ... ( and jealous of your BBSs!! )

I used the factory locations using the factory supplied jack (which BTW I was very impressed with because of its aluminum frame and sligh weight) but "inboard" - and I am assuming that you mean towards the centerline of the TT front to back - on the rear is where the plastic dust shield is. In other words,there is no beam flange, at least on the driver's side rear. On the front, I do see such a flange but I am hesitant to use these locations because they are so far in that there's risk damage to the rocker from the hydraulic jack handle; also, jacking each corner one at a time creates much greater load on the jacking points than using a lift to gently lift all four points at once.

So my point is - be careful not to damage the under carriage or rockers. There is a series of 3 or 4 "plastic" hoses, black, blue and white I think, that are the fuel hose assemblies that run front to back and were replaced on my TT as a recall so also avoid them.

BTW Jim, I found a nylon saddle block for jacking across the seam flange (like the wooden one that you made) that should allow using the factory jack points. These points are supposed to be reinforced and designed to carry the increased load of a single jack point. Source is from Northern Hydraulics catalog $5.99.

- Peter
Old 02-16-2000, 05:35 AM
Jim Torongo

Default I have got to get a dig cam because I can show you what I'm haveing trouble explaining. It works-

Wait till you see the wheels - they are too good.