TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Just got another call from Audi regarding delayed 3.2 TT launch...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 07:19 AM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just got another call from Audi regarding delayed 3.2 TT launch...

While mine is on the water (as I mentioned earlier), Audi has placed a hold on all 3.2 TTs until mid-October.

This shouldn't impact me, since my car isn't due until the end of the month. However, it sounds as if most 3.2s will be held at their respective ports until Audi is ready to kick off their launch.

That doesn't mean that a few stray 3.2s won't make their way to the dealers before then, but for the most part, they're not going to be released for a few weeks even if they're already here.

Not sure if this is the primary reason for the delay, but there was a pretty substantial shortage of DSG boxes in Germany and that slowed production by more or less 2-4 weeks with respect to 3.2 TTs manufactured in build week 35 (end of Aug) and beyond, as I understand it.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought there were already a few on the road here already... no?
Old 10-02-2003, 08:04 AM

Default Not sure...

A couple guys from dealerships drove them, but that's all I've seen.

Assuming this info is correct (and it came straight from Audi), it shouldn't be surprising if a few "slipped" by and were released anyway. However, it sounds if there will be a slight delay for the bulk of the 3.2s.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they are already built what's the point of holding them at the port?
Old 10-02-2003, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default this whole thing sounds VERY suspicious

what kind of company can't COUNT the number of DSG Boxes they have before they start production? I think they are telling you crazy LIES Brad. They know you are the founder of the So. Call TT club right???

so they just want you to spread a little hype and spread the word (JUST LIKE YOU ARE DOING).

They need extra time so that they can advertise, market and hype up the new model because they haven't done it properly yet...THAT is why they are holding it back.

cheers and all the best!
Old 10-02-2003, 08:14 AM

Default There are several possible reasons...

Reason 1: A shortage of DSG boxes has delayed shipment of many TTs. Thus, they want to wait until they have a good supply to kick things off.

Reason 2: They have a specific launch date in mind, and that's that.

Reason 3: Audi AG said that the UK was to receive 3.2 TTs before all other regions. The TT is quite popular in the UK. So it's possible that they are delaying our launch until they can release a few more UK TTs. There are very few 3.2s on the road in the UK at present and multi-week delays, again apparently relating to a shortage of DSG boxes.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:17 AM

Default Most of the DSG box delay info...

Is coming from the guys in the UK. Apparently, more than one individual has received this word directly from Audi and many of them are being told that their TTs are delayed for this reason.

The info I got from Audi is that the 3.2s are supposedly on hold until a specific date in mid-Oct. All I can do is pass along what I am told, but this wouldn't surprise me a bit.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Basically what I've been hearing/reading...

Still waiting on some pix of those 3.2s supposedly being test-driven in the U.S.???
Old 10-02-2003, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default My local dealer has one

I've got a friend that mechanics on the Porsche side of the local dealership. Tuesday night, he told me the Audi tech next to him was prepping the first 3.2TT (and all of the mechanics took it for a spin). He didn't know if it was pre-sold or not but didn't think so.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Uh...

I saw one that was being picked up by a customer here in Houston on Saturday. It is out burning gas right now. One that got away? Perhaps since the sales guy said they had a few in the port that they could net get to yet.

Quick Reply: Just got another call from Audi regarding delayed 3.2 TT launch...