TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Just got my vag com cable,,, notttt working.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it can be very easily done!
Old 02-27-2007, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default not missing the point...it's not necessary to do it through hardware...Bentley has done it...

successfully. I don't see much piracy for the cd. Ross-Tech could use the same approach to secure their software.

I understand your viewpoint. I just don't think that they necessarily need to use their cable to ensure recovery of R&D. At any rate, they ensured their survival, I guess, with the latest version. Don't expect anyone to push the envelope.

It's like the MAC and PC commercials...Microsoft feels pressure to improve their product because the competition is forcing them to review their flaws. Same applies to other companies.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, you are...

Uwe used to use a software key. It was a big hassle, for users and for Ross-tech. Dealing with broken computers, moves to new computers, etc.

Additionally, they started having to spend more and more time figuring out why people were having problems - many time it was junky third party/homebrew interfaces.

So, they killed two birds with one stone. By putting the license in the hardware, they make it easy for people to move the solution between machines, at the same time ensuring that they are in full control of, and responsible for, only their own problems.

Your "cost" complaint should be directed at Audi, not Ross-tech. Audi does not release the information needed to do most of the things that VAG-Com can do - Uwe has spent considerable time and effort reverse engineering the protocols and commands. He's well within his rights to protect that work.

If Audi made the information available to developers, it would lower development costs, there would be more competition, and prices would be lower.

Audi would have you buy a VAS-5052 for $9000. You have no complaint.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Nasty thread developing, gotta side with Joe though -->

The original ISO-COM cable which I still have worked with licensed software. The licensing had to be an issue with Uwe because it was a key pair that required you to send a hex string and get a new one back. That allowed the software to run on one machine. Move it and you needed Uwe to help you out.

The new method puts the license in the cable which makes it portable. A much better solution. It allows multiple people to share a cable (which I do with local enthusiasts).

I followed the upgrade path and have a HEX-USB+CAN cable. I thought it was a bargain primarily because it allows me to examine and change settings on the car that no dealer would be willing to do. I can diagnose and solve issues. It even reads my Chrysler OBD-II port and can do DTC's there. Even the simplest tool to read DTC's is around $100.

As a software supplier, Uwe has to move along with the technology. Switching to a dongle based license solves a lot of problems. At some point you have to leave the technology laggards behind and that's what the dumb interfaces do. When do you stop supporting old technology? Perhaps something to argue but at some point you can't continue to do so.

Even so, I'm amazed at the continued support I get in new releases and the discussion group on Yahoo. Who the heck has time to figure out what each bit means in a controller, especially with the long coding now in place on VAG cars? The Vag-Com community has plenty to offer. Your price for entry? About $100 plus a cable. Want the latest with all the new stuff? Well that's about $250. Still pretty much a bargain in my book.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that's going too far...I'm offended!!!!!!!!

I would never pay for hacked software!

Seriously, all I'm saying is I think the cable is overpriced. I believe Ross-Tech has every right to recuperate their R&D cost but no need to sell an overpriced cable.

If it weren't for that, alternatives would not pop up on the market.

The cable I have is cheaper and works.

If I have choice between two products...same quality, same functionality...I need to be able to justify paying more.

In my case, I couldn't.

I believe in letting free markets and competition decide who stays or who goes out of business. It fuels innovation and I love it.

Ross-Tech were innovative enough to figure out to prevent third party company from providing new cables that would undercut his pricing.
My financial support was not needed but his/her business savvy.

I respect and understand your reasoning. Obviously, we have two different viewpoints so I say let's agree to disagree on our 2cents. Whadda ya say?