TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Just tried the Mr. Clean Autodry car wash system --

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just tried the Mr. Clean Autodry car wash system --

First impression is that it seems to be a good product. Very easy to use and relatively inexpensive (about $30). Only drawback identified thus far is that the soap and filter probably will only last three washes or so. Despite that the wash is contained in the system and sprayed on the car, you'll still need a bucket with some soapy water to clean your wash mitt/sponge/etc.

I am allowing the TT to drip-dry to see if it spots at all - especially on the glass. Despite the "Spot-Free Gaurantee" I have my doubts. We'll see. Regardless of whether it spots or not, in the future I plan to use the P21S synthetic towel to dry. My hope is that any water in the cracks and crevices that drips out (i.e. from mirrors, tail lights) will not leave a mark.

I'll report back the results of my spot-free test.<ul><li><a href="http://www.homemadesimple.com/mrcleanautodry/">Mr. Clean Autodry</a></li></ul>
Old 12-13-2003, 12:50 PM

COOL! BUT, INEXPENSIVE? DON'T THINK YOU DID THE MATH! $30 ~ 3 WASHES = $10 A "DIY" WASH? NOT COOL!!
Old 12-13-2003, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yup, I did do the math. you're right - it is expensive....

However, in my neck of the woods (SE Georgia swampland), I will gladly pay that for the benefit of the filter alone.
Old 12-13-2003, 03:37 PM

Did it dry spot free?
Old 12-13-2003, 07:23 PM

Default My car is black. I'm interested. But not until

the price drops. Cuz I hate drying and waterspots.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well.....

It did not dry completely spot-free. But it looks damned good. Before I reveal my results, please bear in mind that the water here in SE Georgia is extremely hard and my outside facets are not routed through a softener or any other kind of treatment.

The paint is almost completely spot free - as a matter of fact, I was only able to find one area where spots were visible under my garage fluorescent lighting (couldn't find any outside in the overcast daylight). Now, my car is Lake Silver so water spots don't show up that easily. A little Maguire's quick-detailer took care of the spots I could see on the finish.

The windows have a fair amount of tiny spots. Now, I am extremely **** about my glass. I usually spend a couple of hours just on the glass alone -- can you imagine how sick I feel when a bug hits my clean windshield? ) So, what I see may not be a big deal to some. The fact that there are tiny spots on the glass logically leads to the assumption that there are tiny spots on the finish as well, but I am not able to see any given my current lighting (I've even used a spotlight at an angle to observe)

Overall, I really like the system; however, I still plan to dry after using it. Is it worth the cost? Probably not for some but if you've got hard water, or want to eliminate drip marks from occuring after washing and drying, you might find this system useful.

As always, these are my opinions based upon my experience. YMMV.

Cheers!
Old 12-14-2003, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Will be testing on a black VW today if rain stops. I'll let you know how that works out.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Just tried the Mr. Clean Autodry car wash system --

It would be expensive if this were a throwaway product, but it's not. The sprayer lasts forever, you just buy refills of soap and filters. Refill soap costs about $5, filters about $6 and both are good for 10 washes. Over time, it should cost about $1 per wash. It always dries spot free, saving you from putting swirl marks into your paint from using a towel or chamois.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:14 AM

Default Toplayer, the math works out to just over $1 per wash. VERY COOL!

You are not going to throw out the device after 3 uses, you buy the refill soap ($5 for 10 uses) and the refill filter ($6 for 10 uses). So the ongoing cost of washing your car is $1.10 per wash. Sounds like an awesome deal to me to never have to hand dry my car again. I hate drying my car. But I do like math!
Old 01-11-2004, 06:52 AM

Default Another Mr Clean Autodry review

Purchased the kit at WalMart for 19.95. Included one soap bottle and one filter. I was very doubtful that it would live up to its TV claims but gave it a try anyway. Very impressed after first use. Not totally spot free. A few surfaces retained small water spots but nothing that wasn't wiped away in seconds. The most impressive thing was the windows. Not a single spot! Crystal clear. The time saved not having to hand dry the entire vehicle makes this product worth the price of admission. Even though WalMart sold the kit it does not yet stock the refills. I'm out of soap and need more filters. Anyone know where I can pick some up? I highly recommend this system. It's actually fun to use and perfect for a quick wash if you don't have time to dry. Heck, you don't need to dry!