TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Just Will Not Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT QC Just Will Not Start

Hello All. Pleae beAR WITH LONG POST. Have had most of TT issues and repaired with help of forum and DIYs Including doing my own timingbelt. My 2001 TT Q AMU engine with 220,000 all mine miles had Oil Pressure light after some body shop work on left fender. I added then later changed oil pump cleaned oil return after using engine flush from autozone. Afterward white exaust smoke after warm up and at stop lights and signs. No apparent change in power. Did all the things before deciding it was turbo. Drained intercoolers, changed spark plugs, also did valve cover gasket and that troublesome half moon tensioner plug because it was leaking for a long time. Cleaned and re oiled K&N flat filter. Still smoke.
Did compression test at Autozone using free tester to check for Head Gasket leak. Pressures all cylinders 105-110 PSI. Put every thing togheter drove one block started to sputter and skip then died and would not start. Added gasoline for possibility gauges was not working. Already had half of fuel gauge not working. No start. Code reader showed misfire cylinders 1, 3 and 4. I did coil pack wire harness from 034 motorsport as I had already patched harness. Still no start. Code reader now showed O2 sensor bank one no input. Changed it, no start. Cleaned MAF no start even with MAF not conected. I am stumped. Starter turns strong seems like no spark. Does smell lean. What should I check next. Fuel Pump, ECU? Igniters? Coilpacks? I was getting lights for ABS brake system in past and changed right front sensor with out help. No audi dealer in SE Texas. Local VW will not work on Audi. Anyone in area with VAg-com. Help!!! Thanks

Last edited by MosTT; 08-02-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

i am having a similar issue on a 2002 225 hp quattro coupe, 102,000 miles.

i replaced spark plugs, fuel filter, and the fuel pump gasket because it leaked when completely full.

after this i drove the car for ~ one hour with no problems. After sitting in the garage for three days wife backed it out and it quit.

while cranking it will fire 3-4 times then nothing. crank again and it won't fire. wait ~10minutes it does the same over again.

i have OBDCOM, no codes, no ECL, i can read throttle position while cranking but MAF sensor display shows zero.

i disconnected the MAF and it ran for ~ 10 seconds the first time. second try ran for ~3 seconds.

previous owner had a K&N filter, i replaced that with stock because of reports of MAF issues. I have run it ~one year since.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default TT QC Will not start

Originally Posted by iowaan
i am having a similar issue on a 2002 225 hp quattro coupe, 102,000 miles.

i replaced spark plugs, fuel filter, and the fuel pump gasket because it leaked when completely full.

after this i drove the car for ~ one hour with no problems. After sitting in the garage for three days wife backed it out and it quit.

while cranking it will fire 3-4 times then nothing. crank again and it won't fire. wait ~10minutes it does the same over again.

i have OBDCOM, no codes, no ECL, i can read throttle position while cranking but MAF sensor display shows zero.

i disconnected the MAF and it ran for ~ 10 seconds the first time. second try ran for ~3 seconds.

previous owner had a K&N filter, i replaced that with stock because of reports of MAF issues. I have run it ~one year since.
Thanks. I cleaned MAF. Also it has not started since initial non start. Have used the K&N filter for several years but did do a new clean and oiling but after the no start issue began. Currently awaiting a new fuel pump. I will give update after install. See 1.8 forum for other recent replies.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

did you do anything to measure fuel pressure or flow or did you just make a best guess that it is the pump?
Old 08-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did disconnect at fuel injector inlet and had no flow with switch on. I actually did new fuel pump still no start. Also placed new Crankshaft Position Sensor. Am awaiting a full diagnostic scan for now.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Problem Solved. After several answers on this forum and others. I changed fuel pump, cam position sensor, crank shaft position sensor, PCv Valve. Still no start. Had already replaced coilpack wiring with 034 kit at beginning of issues. Finally got test for spark and igniters were not firing. VW tech put in temporary VW igniters without screw downs and vehicle started. One code has shown misfires on coils 1, 3 and 4.
I suspect after my compression test something must have shorted in the old coil pack wiring while driving, causing the no start condition. No regrets. Everything I replaced would need it eventually in TTQ with 220k miles on it. Now must still do Turbo replacement.