TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

LED gurus - need some help w/ a Halloween Costume :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED gurus - need some help w/ a Halloween Costume :)

Thinking of a last min. costume for a party - but would involve using LED rope, or something similar - care to comment on this idea?

Items needed:
LED rope light
Appropriately sized, portable battery
Belt & suspenders
Thick white sheet

Yeah, it's a ghost if that last item didn't give it away, but I thought of wrapping the LED rope light around my body - probably need 15 feet of it (?) - to create a "glowing ghost" look. I can hook the battery up to a belt/suspender setup and strap the to my body. Over that, I'll drap the white sheet - causing a glowing effect.

Yeah, a little excessive, but would make for a fun costume. My concerns as tinkering n00b - or b00b if I get electricuted -
1.) Am I asking for a body covered in horror burn scars? i.e. will the LED rope light become hot to the touch? I would think that this will most likely NOT happen - LED's not functioning as your typical bulb - but best to hear it first hand from someone that has dealt with them.

2.) What kind of battery should I be looking for - especially with this kind of set up? Not sure if they would come in a reasonable, portable size - i.e. am I strapping a car battery to my crotch?!

3.) Any ideas on what kind of material I can put on top to diffuse the light? I wouldn't want the appearance through the sheet to be point-specific, but something that can diffuse evenly. (i.e. use a translucent plastic sheet?)

p.s. just a note to those that inquired about my car / headliner a while back - sorry for going MIA, but my house isn't done (i.e. I've been HOMELESS for over a month), and I've had two bastards try to scam me on my car - so I've been kinda distracted. My bad. Apologies for that.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default another suggestion is to get those glowsticks instead

the ones you break the capsule inside and it makes them glow in the dark? you can get those in rope form now too. I've got one leftoever from a wedding. They don't glow for too long, but long enough for what you need!

you can connect several of them together too to make one long rope
Old 10-27-2005, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default SCORE!

didn't know they were avail in "rope" form - sounds like a much more cost-effective solution. thanks for the suggestion!