TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Lets discuss double-clutching... popular with anyone here?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2000, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lets discuss double-clutching... popular with anyone here?

I learned to double-clutch from my dad, who used to race on frozen lakes in CT as a young guy, among other things.

I find the technique to be indispensible for big downshifts when I want to move NOW, and also when I want to downshift really smoothly in anticipation of needing a lower gear. When I get the rev's right, its great. I'm still getting used to the TT and shifting again, so some practice is in order yet.

Anybody here proficient at it, and want to give me some pointers relevant to the TT? Thanks.
Old 11-05-2000, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I make it a practice to double-clutch/heel and toe every car that I drive at work.

I've actually found that doing this smoothly in a TT is more difficult than most. I think there are 2 reasons for this. 1)Electronic throttle application...kind of a vague feeling when trying to match revs, and sometimes a bit TOO responsive. 2)Some folks here have experienced this, but diring a heel and toe downshift, naturally, part of your right foot is on the brake pedal. Unfortunately in the TT, the brake light switch also send a signal to the Motronic ECU which, in turn, shuts off pairs of injectors in sequence. Some people(me included) notice that the engine is slow to respond to the quick blip on the gas to match revs.

These are things you'll get used to, though. I've been driving manual trans cars this way for about 12 years now, and I still school myself on the perfect shift everytime I drive.

As an aside, there is this egotistical side of me that really enjoys going for a ride with a customer or friend in their own car, swapping seats, and then driving it more smoothly than they could ever manage. Is that bad of me?:-)
Old 11-05-2000, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funny that you should ask....

I too used to race on frozen lakes, and double clutching is something I do without a thought.... last year I tried to explain/teach it to my adult daughter and failed miserably... It helps if one has driven a car with a non-synchro tranny in first gear...
Old 11-05-2000, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, its bad of you Jason 8º)
Old 11-05-2000, 08:06 PM

Default Thanks Jason. First I've learned about the brake/injector correlation...

that explains the throttle response a bit. I just know I'm going to suck on my first track day in this car (ok, my first ever) but oh well. At least I can double clutch well some of the time!
Old 11-05-2000, 08:07 PM

but of course and don't change
Old 11-05-2000, 08:10 PM

Default AK, I think you and my dad are about the same age...

I watched his clutchwork as a kid... he probably explained DC'ing to me when I was 10, and helped me practice a little as I was learning to drive.

Any tips on DC'ing in the TT?
Old 11-05-2000, 08:13 PM

uhuh.. sooo I'll remember that if you get to drive my car
Old 11-05-2000, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

No one is this old... except FLVA, who is really old
Old 11-05-2000, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default have you tried teaching her....

.....to drive clutchless? Definitely a crash-course method of teaching rev-matching. I taught this to myself when I was a parts driver in Buffalo and the clutch cable snapped in the parts truck. I lived with it that way for about a month.

Quick Reply: Lets discuss double-clutching... popular with anyone here?