TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Lets discuss double-clutching... popular with anyone here?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2000, 09:38 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am beginning to find a work around to this . . .

I am heel/toeing every day and have just gotten used to the delay at times. I have also been able to execute perfect rpm matches, like I did at the Solo II Nationals this year. I downshifted from 3rd to 2nd, matched the revs perfectly and was able to make the turn without missing a beat. I was happy in the fact that I had only done this about 3 times in that TT, it was not mine.

Double clutching I only do when I am on the track and or am really pushing the car. The TT works just fine double clutching. I have been doubling clutching for 10+ years and the TT works as well as any other car I have done it in.

The one thing I have noticed amongst all of the TT's I have driven is the point at which each clutch grabs. I have yet to drive two TT's with the same clutch travel and clutch engagement.

Mine engages about 1/2 through its throw, some I have driven engage at the top and some all of the way at the bottom. To me at the top is too high, I like the clutch pedal to travel at least an inch or so. Engaging at the floor is not good either. Mine I can get to engage with a fast foot in without ever hitting the floor. With this I am also able to double clutch fast and speed shift if I need to. The clutch is not being held too long.

Jason is right, it is fun getting into someone elses' car and out driving them
Old 11-05-2000, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Interesting, I never thought of that, may I borrow one of your demos?
Old 11-06-2000, 02:31 AM
Elder Member

Default Amazing timing...I have been trying to teach myself double-clutching lately

It's been a long time since I've owned a stick and I've never known how to double-clutch. I definitely understand the point but it is a difficult technique to learn PROPERLY. I'm having a very difficult time learning how to get the rev's matched properly and I'm not trying this on desolate roads so I'm taking too much time and ending up just having to throw it into gear and let the synchros do the work. I'm particularly interested in teaming this up with heel-toe braking & down shifting but I figure I can't learn one without the other. Time is on my side, though, and I know I'll get it sometime.

BTW, I read something recently stating the double-clutching is no more effective than a technique where you blip the throttle twice while letting the clutch out naturally on downshifts to rev-match. I figure this can't be as good for your clutch, though.

Here's a link.

<a href="http://integra.vtec.net/driving/dclutch.html">Clutching (Down-Shifting) Techniques</a>
Old 11-06-2000, 05:26 AM

I did that with an old Jeep I had, when I couldn't afford the repair!
Old 11-06-2000, 05:52 AM

Default I make a point of DCing it in my Tacoma- it makes the TT real smooth. There's not much to the theory

Practice practice practice practice.
Practice while your driving to the store. Practice while your driving to work. Practice when your driving to grandma's. Instead of downshifting when you approach a light, double clutch. Do it when you don't have to. Its become second nature to me and I probably do it 75% of the time when downshifting for turns just driving the TToad around town. Its not like the TT clutch is going to tire you out!!
Old 11-06-2000, 05:54 AM

Default It's not so bad, in fact, it can be good:)

Speaking from experience. For example, I never returned my drivers seat to its original position after you drove my car. Much better position, thanks.
Old 11-06-2000, 07:12 AM

Default The article is good, and what he's recommending is no "blips" at all, just the simplest possible ...

... ordinary downshift after braking.

My own two cents: The TT has such a small engine and heavy flywheel that engine braking in addition to "brakes braking" is not possible in a "performance" situation, the flywheel will work against the brakes, adding to the load and wear.

Some of you will have noticed that left foot braking (while on the power) is not useful in the TT. The computer takes the application of the brakes as a que to "cancel" the accelerator input for a second or two, which is far longer than it takes to flick the right foot over to the brake pedal and back.
Old 11-06-2000, 07:22 AM
Elder Member

Default I've noticed that I get my absolute best downshifts if I add some throttle just as I'm...

letting out the clutch for the downshift. I figure this is basically the equivalent of slipping the clutch where the clutch plate is speeding up enough to meet the revs of the transmission and I'm "pre-reving" the engine for the downshift. If I use this technique, I still need to learn to heel-toe to apply the brakes in agressive situations. It just makes it easier because I don't have the extra step of placing the shifter into neutral and completely letting the clutch out between down-shifts.
Old 11-06-2000, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Lets discuss double-clutching... popular with anyone here?

I think a better technique is heel-toe. That is depress the clutch and press the brake with your toe and roll your heel over to blip the throttle to match the RPMs to the new gear then release the clutch. With practise your shifts will be faster and smoother. It sounds cool too. All of the racing schools teach this.
Old 11-06-2000, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reminds me of the time my clutch cable failed...

Pulled out of the toll plaza, and the clutch cable on my 280z broke. Drove all the way home, trying my best to time lights and running stop signs with nothing but clutchless shifting at my disposal. A change of underwear and I was as good as new.

Quick Reply: Lets discuss double-clutching... popular with anyone here?