TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Life without ESP - a whole new driving experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life without ESP - a whole new driving experience

Wow, I have had my eyes opened ! I have been playing with turning off the ESP and I cannot believe how much quicker I can take the corners. I didn't know I was being slowed down so much.

I am going to have some real fun re-learning the limits of my car ! The handling is MUCH more predictable for my driving style.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

O.K , I need to try that. My dealer told me I would want to turn ESP off when I wanted to race.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default FWIW the pro drivers at the Panoz school say they are faster with it on...

ESP will adjust for over and under steer and a lot faster then any driver can. Unless you are very experienced as a driver (i.e., scca or auto-x) be careful. :-)

Hehe...Kids...kids... Turning ESP off is one of the greatest pleasures of an audi owner. now GO :P

Default Disclaimer: only try in safe driving areas - never attempt this while talking on the cell phone and

applying make-up in the vanity mirror (I have actually passed a driver doing exactly that - scared the hell out of me knowing I was behind this driver).

There are a couple of 90* corners on the way to work with large run-off areas... just incase I get a little too crazy. I usually get a clear road (no cars) 1-2 a week, and usually am in the mood to have fun at least 1 of those times...

Up until turning off the ESP, I have felt the limits of the car (I guess the car taking over) at around 60 km/h in the corner. With the ESP off, I have progressively increased the speed in the corner. I have been able to take the corner at the road speed limit of 80 km/h (I am not speeding !) with a controlled sliding. It feels a much more controlled and natural drive to me than with the ESP on...
Old 09-19-2002, 06:42 PM

Default That's because they are good drivers. I on the other hand am a driver who thinks he is good...

big difference. Plus having the car sliding around is kind of fun.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default LOL, just so you understand that smooth = fast...

hanging the *** out or plowing through a turn in a four wheel drift will *feel* fast but most prob will time slower.

(yes it is fun ;-)
Old 09-19-2002, 06:56 PM

Default Ya I know, I used to work at Mosport Racetrack when I was a kid and have lots of training on proper

cornering techniques. I used to surprise people with my first car - a Hyundai Pony (I said surprise - it doesn't take very much to surprise someone with a Hyundai).

I don't know what it is, but the car seems to reach a limit between 60-70 km/h in those corners (based on the feedback I get from the car) and I am able to get a bit more with ESP off (admittedly I am taking a bit more road, but it "feels" more in control than with the ESP...
Old 09-19-2002, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree you will regain throttle control in drifts with ESP off...

I have felt the same myself. Have fun.
Old 09-19-2002, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wonder if Im the only person.. I shut ESP off right after turn the car anyone else?

The only time I put it back on, is if Im on the highway and its raining..

Quick Reply: Life without ESP - a whole new driving experience