TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Lighting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighting Issue

sorry if this is confusing and unclear, but i'm going to try my best to explain it. the problem is when i turn my lights on the headlights work fine but the lights inside the car and the tail lights wont come on but when i press the brake, the lights come on like they normally would. im trying to narrow the issue down so i took the column out under the steering wheel and was messing with the part that is on the brake and when i adjust it the lights would come on without me applying the brakes, but the brake lights will stay on.. so im stumped, im thinking maybe i should replace that part thats hooked on the brake. thanks to anyone who can help.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This sounds similar to an issue I've had since I've owned my TT. This doesn't happen all the time, just randomly. Sometimes when I turn on my headlights, my rear hatch opens... but only if I happen to have my foot on the brake. If I turn the lights on while I'm driving and then press the brakes to stop, the hatch opens. Talk about frustrating! I can't find any rhyme or reason to this quirk. Wet weather, dry weather, hot or cold. Thought it might be the hatch button on the key, but no. Everything will work fine for weeks and then I'll turn on the lights while parked and the hatch pops open... or I'll turn on the lights while driving and as soon as I press the brake, hatch pops open. It's a pain in the neck when raining! All my mechanic does is chuckle and scratch his head. At $90/hr. I'd chuckle too. So I live with it. Whatta ya gonna do? It's a TT.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

well i brought it to my mechanic and he didnt chuckle or scratch his head..he told me it was tha brake light switch n replaced it and fixed it..so thanks for ur comment.