TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006
View Poll Results: Audi TT or no Audi TT....
Yes, get it - good buy!
50.00%
Pass - get something with fewer miles
37.50%
Verts, who needs them - get a coupe!
12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Local Audi TT for sale - do i get it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Local Audi TT for sale - do i get it?

Hey guys and gals - I'm considering buying a 2001 Audi TT vert, 6MT, 225hp, 98k miles, gray with the baseball stitch seats. (How rare is this combo?) It's in really good overall condition. The carfax checks out ok. The spare tire/tools are still there, the convertible cover is even there. The top appears to be in great condition, no tears or burrs. They're asking $11,999 for it. I figure first thing to do would be the timing belt/water pump and chassis lube/check.

Here's a link to the car: http://boise.craigslist.org/ctd/1179202643.html

I figure to be on the safe side, picking up a 3 year/36k mile warranty too.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this?

ps.... can you raise and lower the headrests? I know you can tilt them, but it didn't appear that you could actually lower them. The bottom of the headrest was in the middle of my wifes head and bugged her - I'm hoping we were just having a tarded moment.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

this car is a blast - especially the ragtop - and you'll love every minute of driving it. it's a great car that you'll enjoy and will get you lots of complements. that said, just be aware that this car, as any other used sports car, will have it's share of issues over time. the warranty's probably not a bad idea at all.

knowing what i do about tt's from owning mine, i'd say that with 98k miles, the car has almost certainly already had the timing belt and water pump replaced, as they have a tendency to fail in the tt sooner than other cars - probably around 50-60k miles. hopefully they didn't use an oem replacement water pump, because the oem one has a crappy plastic impeller that's prone to premature breakage. as for the timing belt, the tensioner has a tendency to wear out early. so like i said, they've most likely already been replaced once. just have a mechanic check out the tensioner to see if it's wearing out again.

mine has about 65k miles, and the clutch is starting to wear out. so, if the clutch in yours hasn't yet been replaced, it may need to be before long. although i've gotten mixed feedback about this. some people have claimed going well over 100k miles without any problems with their clutch, while others have had theirs wear out as early as mine.

anyways, i hope i haven't scared you off from buying it- it's really a great car and i love mine. just be aware that any sports car of that age will need mechanical attention from time to time. i think the warranty would be a wise move.

about the headrest.... i really can't remember if it goes down or not. i haven't had to adjust mine in ages. i'll check tomorrow morning and get back to you.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I wouldn't assume the timing belt is done... have someone check it. I'd say there are more reported mechanical problems with the earlier audi tt's than other cars of similar age. Also keep in mind the cost of repairs.

With that said, I just took delivery of a 2001 225 roadster (19.5k on the clock) as well. The posts on the forums almost scared me off but I decided to proceed anyway. The car is an absolute blast to drive... I would go for it.

I am still shopping and debating the necessity of a warranty... there are a lot of scams and bad reports against various warranty companies. Some can be a little pricey IMO.

Nope, the headrest is not adjustable in roadsters. If you remove the plastic covers around the bottom of the headrest (around the chrome bars) there is a pin you can remove to slide the head rests all the way down. There is no adjustment in between. I believe this was done to protect the passengers from the roll bars in the event of a rear-end collision.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by usayit
The posts on the forums almost scared me off but I decided to proceed anyway.
If you read enough posts on ANY car forum, you'd be scared to buy ANY car.

Just use common sense, verify that the TB/WP work was done and that the car is in good shape (I VAGcom potential VW/Audi cars), and check for the usual issues (which car forums should point out).
Old 06-01-2009, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the cluster, very common failure item and very $$$.

It should warm from cold up in less than 2-3 miles. Should point to straight up at that point.

Make sure you get two keys.These cars have immobilizers in the keys.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey thanks for all of the responses. I'll be sure to ask to have the 'puter checked. I have read that is a costly replacement, which makes me want a warranty even more. I've had extended warranties on our jeep and my a4 and yea you could put away an extra $50-$100/mo for a slush fund, but it's nice if something happens I pay my $100 deductible and say fix it.

Good to know about the headrest. I'll have to look at that. For me the headrest is fine, but the lil lady, it's not so great.

We're going to test drive a couple others... wish we had some lower mileage one's like 19.5k! Nice find man. Might try and drive a coupe just to be sure. The blind spot when the top is up is huge, so I want to see how bad it is in the coupe.

I did a search for installing after market sunroofs and some were saying to use the beetles? hmm. Another suggested a specific after market model sunroof, it's just finding a GOOD installer. Anyone with any experience with this?

Audi TT FEVER! hehe. I'll try and post what we decide.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think we may have found the 'one', hehe. I'm going to meet the owner hopefully tomorrow night and take it for a spin. He's got all maintenance records, recently tuned, etc. wow. check out the link and let me know what you guys think: http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/1188668281.html
Old 06-01-2009, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

i live in nj, just bought a black 2002 tt roadster 225 hp, 105k miles, with almost new tires for 7900.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Keep in mind that this is a 180 and not a 225, not that there's anything wrong with a 180 but that's why the price is a little lower than the 225 you were looking at.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If you want to see what the headrests look like lowered as well as the roll bars lowered 2" then hit my account #5808 and it will pull up 2 other pics. Mine has only 16K miles and has never been in the rain and the top has never been wet ( no water ever). I'm sorry to say that I might be selling this new car but remember this one should not be driven every day. It's the only 2001 Denim Blue Roadster with Baseball interior ever made and it took approx. 9 months to get it. It came to the US through the Great Lakes all crated up (special freight) to Chicago and I put it in a trailer and drove it home to Spokane. It's now in Bellingham, Wa. safe and sound. Any interest just email me at axel11@comcast.net

Axel

Quick Reply: Local Audi TT for sale - do i get it?