TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

looks like i'm going to attempt to do the Milltek exhaust install

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looks like i'm going to attempt to do the Milltek exhaust install

meself.. i guess i need ramps, what else do I need? Any install pointers? I think the center pipe (with the resonator) only goes in one way right? Hopefully it will all work out.. oh one more thing, do I need exhaust cement? or will the clamps be good enough?
Old 01-29-2004, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Re: looks like i'm going to attempt to do the Milltek exhaust install

I did the install without cement. I even put never-seize where the pipe and muffler come together so that I can take them apart or adjust them when I need too.
The pipe only fit one way, but remember that there are little connecting sleeves...so don't fret if the pipes do not fit perfect the first time.
And one other thing I did was get some wooden blocks or anything you have laying around that you can set the exhaust on while installing it...that will be better than trying to hold it up the whole time.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Install tip......Re: tip alignment...>>

Install without tightening any clamps. Tip alignment is a little tricky. You'll find that rotating the midpipe will move the tips in and out alternately left and right. It's got to do with the angle the midpipe comes into the muffler. Twist midpipe until you get a good alignment, then clamp everyting down.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default good to hear you're not letting them have your money

and i'm ripping on their prices, not you looking into having them do it. i didn't use any cement either. as soon as you get the car on the ramps, look at the hangers near each exhaust tip. they bolt to the subframe and this is what you undo. next will be the cat area. take the exhaust out and build the new one next to it. you can see how simple it is this way. then reverse. you'll also see the crappy factory crimpe areas and how heavy the system is. have fun
Old 01-29-2004, 04:13 PM

thanks great advice! =)
Old 01-29-2004, 04:14 PM

Default yeah man 18 bucks for ramps and 1 hr fun with friends

sure beat the hell out of haggling for prices =)
Old 01-29-2004, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default That's how you start.....>>

When I was 17 and chipped a tooth on 2nd gear on my $125 MGA, I bought a shop manual, busted a few knuckles and taught myself how to rebuild a transmission.....49 cars and 38 years later, i'm still messing around at it.....:-)

In fact, I still have the ramps I bought 25 years ago.....My spring compressors are 30+ years old.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:31 PM
rbl
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I needed a 16" wrench to undo the clamps- anything less didn't

provide enough leverage. Also, I found that when I *thought* I max-torqued the clamps during installation, they came loose after driving around. So you need to get back underneath to check for tightness afterwards.

Some people claimed that the center pipe hangs very close to the heat shield. At the same time, it seems to be lower to the ground. I'm scraping the incline of my driveway now.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Get the center hanger.....>>

Missing off any TT from mid 01 on. Also tighten your clamps with the pipe stressed up...That will fix most of your problems!
Old 01-29-2004, 04:38 PM

Default Is it okay to install it without the center hanger?

I may have it since i'm an 01.. where do I get it? at the dealer?

Quick Reply: looks like i'm going to attempt to do the Milltek exhaust install