TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Loud sound when braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud sound when braking

I have this loud high pitched sound, like metal rubbing on metal that sounds like it's coming from the rear right brake assembly when I apply the brakes.

Which wheel has the e-brake on the TT? I wonder if that, or maybe a caliper is getting stuck, causing this loud, excrutiating sound.

At first I thought maybe it was power steering related since it had that same "dead walrus" sound, but the power steering fluid is fine, and I realized the sound came not when I turned the wheel but when I applied the brakes.

Any ideas??
Old 04-14-2008, 08:39 PM

Have you checked your pads? That would be the first thing to check, you didn't indicate you had.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Have you checked your pads? That would be the first thing to check, you didn't indicate you had.

No I haven't because I can't imagine how pads would result in that kind of sound. It's not a squeaking or squealing or even metallic grating sound that would result from the need for pad adjustment and/or pad replacement (worn pad on rotor).
Old 04-14-2008, 08:58 PM

Default if you have been braking hard lately >

or any type of abnormal driving with hard braking could cause the rotor to warp. the slightest bit on a warped rotor will cause it to make sounds. sometime more noticable then others.

if not that, then i suggest checking into your pads, if there worn too far down, they will create metal on metal contact giving off an awful sound.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

right rear inner pad worn down to backing plate
Old 04-15-2008, 04:25 AM
Rest In Peace

yep and he could due for rotors now too....metal on metal is never good
Old 04-15-2008, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: yep and he could due for rotors now too....metal on metal is never good

I haven't taken the wheels off, but the pads look fine and the sound isn't the kind indicative of pad backing on rotor noise, which is more of a high pitched squeal or grinding noise. But then again maybe Audis are different.

It sounded to me like a caliper was stuck since I get this really weird sound, the kind you get when something is holding against metal that is moving slowly. This sound comes out when the car is at very low speed and i apply the brakes. Like when I'm coming to stop at a red light, or am in real slow traffic and applying brakes to stop.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:38 AM

Technically if the walrus is dead, it would make no sound at all
Old 04-15-2008, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default The rear brakes have free floating pads. Any number of things could be happening

to them. Including the various things suggested in this thread.

All of them would generate noise under light, low speed braking.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ok.... i'd say just keep driving it then

?!?

OR... you could turn off the computer, and pull a wheel. Check the INNER pad.

By the way, BOTH rear wheels are actuated by the e-brake on the TT, as is the case with all cars. Wouldn't be much of an *e* brake if you only stopped one wheel... unless the idea is to create or worsen the emergency.

Quick Reply: Loud sound when braking