TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

love this website (long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-1999, 12:38 PM
sandra

Default love this website (long)

2 years out of the auto industry (computer programmer at the company formerly known as chrysler) and i've lost touch ! my plan WAS to spend a few months scouting the new car offerings, then make a purchase after the Y2K transition (no symbolism here, it's just that my current car is problem-free and has only 30k miles). i picked up an auto magazine at the grocery store and OHMYGOD, TThere iTT was. i had no idea this car existed until 2 weeks ago. i hope the TT is the direction cars are headed .. from the heap of same-old-same-old modified wedges and blah ellipses arises this part-retro part-futuristic semi-circle ! i drove one last wednesday night, I LOVE ITT, and i must now have one. the waiting list situation shouldn't detroy my Y2K plan too badly. but now i'm debating .. should i put myself on the list for the 180Q, or wait for the 225 ? i currently drive a talon TSi AWD (210hp), not a bad car and mine has been completely problem-free, but i'm bored with it and ready to move up to a better car. i have to admit the shimmy/drift and electrical problem posts have me a little bit concerned. are these merely new vehicle production problems and they have been or will soon be cleared up ? and what's with the cassette player in the standard sound system ? (i'm old enough to have owned vinyl, so don't accuse me of being insensitive to people who have stockpiles of cassettes !) anyway, i love this web site because the regular audi site is awful, and my salesperson seems to be treating me like the stereotypical non-tech femme, something i'm used to so it doesn't even make me mad any more. i just have to do more work myself, that's all. this web site has been extremely useful for my investigation. i thank the person(s) who started it and all who have contributed to it. (even the neon afficionado .. that was an entertaining thread.) sincerely, sandra
Old 07-11-1999, 03:27 PM
Denny

Default Re: love this website (long)

Sandra, Welcome from a female TT owner with your same experience. Saw it, had to have it. Have 500 miles on my 180FWD with nary a problem. The 180 is great for me....but, must say the 225 sounds tempting. Good luck with your decision. You will find this forum extremely helpful -- I have. Luckily, I have a dealership that treats women very well and doesn't condescend or act like we don't have a clue about cars. Go TTo iTT. Denny
Old 07-11-1999, 06:39 PM
Suz

Just another female TT owner who is having the time of her life with this automobile. Ditto for my dealer who treats me well and isn't freaked out that a woman can love to drive this car as much as anyone! My Silver/Ebony has 2000 miles after one month. Lots of "road trips".
Old 07-11-1999, 07:10 PM
Denny

That's great. I create reasons to go out and drive now. Never did that before.
Old 07-11-1999, 09:52 PM
Jason Dale

Default Welcome to the site

I wouldn't be too concerned about the few problems that you're reading about. These folks are fairly vocal about most things TT-good and bad. From what I can see, it has been a relatively clean launch of an all-new product. NO new vehicle is going to be devoid of problems. We'll keep an eye on any pattern failures that may arise. Hope you get one soon and start enjoying the experience. <p>Jason Dale<br>Audi Technician<br>Ken Garff Motors<br>Provo, UT
Old 07-12-1999, 04:34 AM
Joe

Hi Sandra,<p>Hey, welcome to the site! I can relate to part of your car search experience. I presently drive a '92 Olds Achieva SCX (rare, little known monster, which I have lightly modified to 205hp), (Well okay, it blew its head gasket the week after I left a downpayment on a TT)... <p>I was almost decided on a Honda Prelude SH when the TT went on sale, and I realized that the payments would be the same if I financed for five years (rather than four). Plus the insurance is apparently cheaper. I'm curious, though, since I was thinking about an Eclipse GSX--what have your complaints been with the Talon?<p>I'd say, if you are happy with the acceleration of your Talon, but don't absolutely need Quattro, you'd be happy with the 180 FWD TT. If you want Quattro (or just Boxster-eating power) go for the 225. <br>Good luck!<p>Joe<br>(Expecting a denim blue TT next month)
Old 07-12-1999, 07:12 PM
JASON THIS IS YOUR SUPERVISOR

Default Re: Welcome to the site

JUST WONDERNG IF YOU SPEND AS MUCH TIME AT HOME ON THE WEB AS YOU DO AT WORK?
Old 07-12-1999, 08:24 PM
Jason Dale

Default Uh Oh...

Very funny, Jeff. By the way: all caps is considered yelling and I think I get enough of that at work...hehe.<p>Jason
Old 07-13-1999, 12:39 PM
sandra

I haven't had a single problem with my Talon. It is certainly the most reliable car I have ever owned, contradicting the warnings I received that the turbo engines were problematic. I bought it new in July '95, it's only got 30k miles on it right now, and I should probably keep it for a few years more ... but I'm tired of it. I want something new, something better, something really COOL looking !! I would apologize for my impractical attitude (I'm getting rid of a perfectly good car !) but I think nobody in this forum is going to criticize me. :-)<p>I think the Eclipse comes off the same assembly line as the Talon, at the Diamond Star plant in Normal, IL. The styling of the Eclipse is really superior to the Talon styling. (Had I been eligible for an employee discount on the Eclipse, I would have bought it instead.)<p>I put in my order last night for a 180Q TT with a stipulation that I can change over to the 225. I'm still not sure if the 225hp engine is available only in the roadster, or if it will be available in the coupe as well. I definitely want the Quattro, though. My Talon is a full-time AWD, and in the snow it makes a big difference. (My previous car, a rear-wheel-drive Nissan 240SX was a nightmare to drive in bad winter weather.) I could even feel the Talon's slip differential kick in .. just when I would think "OK, time to correct the car", it would correct itself.<p>Cars. :-)<p>- Sandy
Old 07-13-1999, 12:45 PM
sandra

Default dealer OK after all, my mistake

My analysis of my first trip to the dealer has proven to be incorrect. I think the sales guy was simply tired. It was, after all, 8:30pm. I was so excited, and he was probably ready to go home and relax. :-) My second trip, when I placed the order, was exactly what I had hoped .. just a normal mutually respectful interaction between two people.<p>So enough of that topic .. I CAN HARDLY WAIT UNTIL I GET MY CAR and I know it's going to be a while.<p>I wonder if anyone makes stuffed TTs that one can take with to bed. <grin>

Quick Reply: love this website (long)