TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Low brake pad warning symbol in dash.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low brake pad warning symbol in dash.

I was driving in a construction zone last night and hit a rough patch of road at highway speed. Coincidentally the circular low pad warning light chimed on as I was roughing it over the potholes. Could this be a symptom of the brake pad sensor detachment? I didn't check to confirm my pads were low but I did wash my car Sat. and my pads looked like their were more than 50% life remaining. Do I have to take the wheel off to check if sensor popped off? If push comes to shove what is the mutual concensus on pad upgrade....Hawk, Ebc, Mintex...etc. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:35 AM

Default Hey Ben... I have seen were the outside pad looks fine and the ...

inside pad is nearly gone. The sensor is on the inside pade on the drivers side and will detach when the pad is worn to low. You will probably need to remove the front left wheel to get a good enough look. I switched my pads to Mintex about 1K miles ago, and they have been great.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:02 AM

Default Hey Greg. Thanks for the input. What's your stance on brake dust with Mintex?

Personally I'm tired of spraying, saturating, and scrubbing my wheels everytime I wash my car because I have 17 spokes to deal with! Oem have been hellish, a good 3-4 days and tons of dust residue. Anyhow, I managed to install my boost gauge on the A-pillar and I dig it!! You should check it out sometime. Talk to you later Greg.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have Mintex red Box on the front and OEM on the back, the dust seems to be.....

close to the same. The front brakes are larger, so I would assume the dust is lower with the Mintex, but certainly not gone.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:35 AM

Default There is an embedded wire in the pad...>

With wear it is eventually worn through and opens the circuit to give you the warning signal. What also happens frequently is that the wire external to the pad is broken or the sensor lead is damaged or disconnected.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:05 AM

Default The mintex are very low dust pads.... It is 100% better than the stocks

I can go a week or more and barely see any brake dust.....Are you going to change them yourself??? If so let me know... My S4 friend has the tool to screw in the rear caliber, and I can borrow it from him if you need it.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I just changed the front pads (to Mintex red). When I removed the OEM pads....

they were not worn evenly (outside one had more pad left).

Kinda disappointed in the red..there is less dust, but I thought it would be better. They do perform quite well.

The wire on the new pads were pretty thin, and the wire snapped off at the pad, so I ended up jumping the wire to get rid of the light on the dash. So no low pad warning. No biggie though.

Paul
Old 05-10-2006, 10:11 AM

Default One thing I just remembered when I changed mine was that....

the sensor connector on the Mintex was the wrong one. The connector was identical to the one it was to be plugged into. (female to female)... So I had to cut the connector from the OEM pad and solder it to the new pads... not a big job, but disappointing. I had checked that the connector from my car was the one I was ordering. There are two types of connectors square rounded or rounded. Mine is the square rounded, and should have been a direct fit. I ordered mine from ECS.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The connector on my mintex were correct. The wire just came off the pad altogether !
Old 05-10-2006, 11:44 AM

I must have gotten the defective set then!

Quick Reply: Low brake pad warning symbol in dash.