TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

MAF question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF question

After driving around with my MAF unplugged for about 5 months, I finally decided to go out and get a new MAF so I didnt have to stare at the check engine light anymore. I installed the new MAF from the dealer, and reset the codes. Now I'm right back to where I was when I unplugged the last one. The car just runs poorly, bucks, and hesitates on even, steady throttle. It feels like the engine mapping is all over the place, but it doesnt throw a code. I would just think its the MAF itself, but I've been through 6 different ones on this car in 2 years, so I have trouble accepting that they are all failing immediately. The wiring loom to the sensor looks pristine, and I looked inside the connector and aside from some chipping on the red interior part of it, the contacts all look happy and aligned. Is there something that could be wrong inside my ECU? I have a VAG tool, but don't know what to look for to diagnose the issue. Anyone got any ideas? Again, it runs great with the MAF unplugged, so I know it isnt mechanical or a warn component.

You guys always have such good insight, so any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Boost Leak

I had the exact same issue so to speak. My car ran fine with the MAF unplugged thought it was the MAF and replaced but nothing. Same issues exactly as you had...So take a look around..did you run any of the codes when it was throwing codes??
Old 04-18-2009, 07:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

After a few weeks of driving around with my MAF unplugged I decided to search for cracked hoses. Popped the hood and like a bolt of lightning a hose under the intake manifold caught my eye. Big split in the hose about an inch long. Kinda retarded that it didn't catch my eye earlier.

You could alway try to find a preasure tester to hunt down any leaks.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Instead of buying Mafs,and getting nowhere,try to look ofr the aforementioned air leaks.The TT225 has a LOT of COMMON vacuum hose issues all around the intake manifold.
OR take it to a professional and if they know what they are doing they can actually FIX it for you!!
Old 04-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

or learn the best way possible, trial and error. perhaps it was just pure dumb luck that I found a bad hose. or maybe it's the fact that I replaced the MAF that the crack reared it's ugly head. hmmmm who knows what I do know is that it gets hot under that intake manifold