TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

As a major participant in the OT debate I'd like to add my 2 cents...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good well agreed to. JIM
Old 02-27-2003, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ya know - IMO - there IS good OT and then there is just senseless nonsense posts

I think there IS a place for OT here - movie recommendations, cooking stuff etc. What bothers me the most is the senseless comment posts that are here for no apparent reason. THOSE are what bother me the most........
Old 02-27-2003, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Actually, while I stand on my hypocrite soap box, I agree

because the 33,900 with kids and creses got beat into the ground.

Alboona speak was another one

The ***** thing also got a little outta hand.

I say hypocrite because I was a participant in all of those threads, and I thought it was really funny, but I am smart enough to realize that those are inappropriate for the forum.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:56 AM

Interesting...I got an OT email...and I didn't participate in ANY of those threads!
Old 02-27-2003, 10:05 AM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"All" might be a stretch! :-P
Old 02-27-2003, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Founder

Default Here's my $.02

Ok actually more like 2 million cents since I get a very big vote about what goes on around here.

First, a history lesson. The OT functionality was put in place almost completely because of this forum. For whatever reason the TT forum was more "chatty" than the others and we were getting a ton of complaints from purists who really only wanted to hear about specific TT (automotive) related items and not anything else. It became such a problem that we invented a way to self moderate and segregate the OT posts from the on topic posts and gave the reader the ability to choose what they view.

Now where I disagree with you and where I've tried to influence the moderating philosophy of the site is that I do NOT believe that the simple additon of OT functionality makes it OK to post anything in the world for any reason in the world so long as it is properly tagged.

Obviously then it comes down to a judgement call about what is acceptable OT and what is just nonsense OT. Believe me there is plenty of nonsense OT that should be deleted whether or not it was marked as OT by the poster in the first place or not.

What you need to keep in mind is that every posting utilizes server resources and bandwidth. Other readers come along and read the posting and use more bandwidth. If the post was worthless to start with then we've just wasted precious resources that could be making AudiWorld a better <b>Audi community</b> but are instead simply being used to feed somebody's amusement or ego.

The one point that you make which I definitely agree with is that we need to be more consistent. It's a difficult proposition because the more we crack down the more important it becomes to crack down efficiently, consistently and in complete support of each and every rule. It becomes a bit Draconian at that point. We are all supposed to be operating in general good faith with some wiggle room.

The bottom line is that I am amazed by the amount of time and energy people will put into debating these policies or into defending or bitching about single posts that are deleted as if their very lives depend on whether or not the world can view a post. Give me a break! Nothing is life and death here.

What I'm working on doing is getting all moderators to be consistent with our internal philosophies and stop engaging in debates or rhetoric with members. And I'd like to see a few readers start thanking people for all the hard work they put in instead of constantly criticizing our policies. Believe me, if I could put the hour a day I spend defending AudiWorld to more productive use (writing stories, evolving the site), we'd all be better off.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:48 AM

Default Now who can argue with that?!? Right on JET and thanks for the site.

We have confidence that AW will maneuver these crossroads (and cross words) with continued success.

It might help if a more specific OT TOS could be developed. Who knows? ;-)
Old 02-27-2003, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Founder

Default An OT TOS is not a bad idea

At least then people could be pointed to something when their nonsense post is deleted and we can say "see, we told you you weren't supposed to do that".
Old 02-27-2003, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default OT emails have NOTHING to do with participation in certain threads - they are generated IF you DON'T

mark a topic OT and a moderator does it for you.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default and of course, the OT TOS should simply read...

"Maxim rule" 8-D

Quick Reply: As a major participant in the OT debate I'd like to add my 2 cents...