TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Massachusetts Legislation to Ban the Sale/Installation of Aftermarket Exhaust Systems

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Massachusetts Legislation to Ban the Sale/Installation of Aftermarket Exhaust Systems

Check out this link and contact your representative. You would think these idiots would have better things to do.<ul><li><a href="http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=10020">Bill Info</a></li></ul>
Old 11-14-2001, 07:38 AM
Elder Member

Legislation in the hands of bored puritans w/ erectile dysfunction... &gt;:-(
Old 11-14-2001, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The arguement to the bill sounds kind of ridiculous....

I'm not saying I'm for the ban. To a normal non-car enthusiast, SEMA's argument must sound ridiculous.

How about just a ban on coffee can exhaust tips?
hehehe
Old 11-14-2001, 08:01 AM

Default I think they sound do sound level testing during inspections, not ban them all together...They test

window tint for legality, why not exhaust sound levels.

I can't tell you how many times I've been woken up by some jackass with a screaming coffee can exhaust, which has absolutely no performance added value.
Old 11-14-2001, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Tune the test to listen for "lawn mower" sound
Old 11-14-2001, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Does that put Midas out of business ???????????
Old 11-14-2001, 08:41 AM
Elder Member

Default What a load. If that alert is saying it like it really is, then there is a HUGE problem with....

...that legislation right out of the box. It doesn't seem to establish an objective standard for the <u>right</u> loudness for an exhaust, but instead seems to presume that the OEM loudness is the "right" loudness. Of course, we all know that there are many degrees of loudness found on the OEM exhaust systems of various cars. So this legeslation would effectively say that the stock loudness of a Mustang GT can be louder that the stock loudness of a Toyota Camry, and I'm not aloud to make my Camry as loud as the Mustang GT if I want to? I don't think that's going to fly.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:19 AM
JHC
AudiWorld Member

Default Welcome to the People's Republic of Cambridge, MA-

This sounds like it proposed from Representative from Cambridge- a real public transportation elitist snob. This is same guy who prevented Starmarket from expanding because it would destroy the richness of the community- great. Now I have to shlep two miles to a some yuppie puppie grocery store for milk.

It won't pass- Massachusetts has more important things to worry about- like Logan Airport, the Big Dig and 1.2 Billion dollars of debt.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Without seeing the entire text, I can't comment. But I think the intent is on noise, not the fact...

...that it is aftermarket. Some cars you can not purchase OE parts for anymore.

I personally put OE exhaust parts on my Honda, cuz.. a)fits right b)last long time c)reasonably priced.

I think loud exhaust, installed just for the sound, is silly, IMO. If there is performance gain, fine, but I believe a good performing exhaust can be installed that does not split open the eardrums of other people.

If the TT's exhaust last a long time, I'll put the OE one back on.

In MA, you can be pulled over for excessive noise right now. I believe that can include exhaust noise as well. (Don't ask how I know..lol)

Paul
Old 11-14-2001, 12:02 PM

Nice! It's good to be in the Midwest. Even if it is UAW country.

Quick Reply: Massachusetts Legislation to Ban the Sale/Installation of Aftermarket Exhaust Systems