TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Maybe we shouldn't buy it...now

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-1999, 11:04 AM
TTDoubter

Default Maybe we shouldn't buy it...now

I am new to this site, and am on the wait list for a 180 fwd. I must say, I am pretty concerned about following through with the purchase. While I love the looks and feel of the car, I don't want to spend a lot of time taking my car into the shop to replace the transmission. I also don't want to drive around grinding the gears till Audi is willing to replace the tranny. Hell, for a few grand more I can get the S4 instead. Are others here having doubts? Are others trying to unload their TTs or thinking about doing so?
Old 08-08-1999, 11:49 AM
Gong Szeto

Default who's to say the S4 will be bulletproof??

bi-turbo, 6-speed, more complexity, more probs (potentially)<p>1st gen bugs.<p>gs.<p>
Old 08-08-1999, 12:32 PM
Jason Dale

Default Re: who's to say the S4 will be bulletproof??

I'm going to step out on a ledge and say it will be. The turbos are already proven on the A4 1.8. The transmission(as a five-speed)was bulletproof in the earlier S4's and S6's. Sure-there's a little more complexity, but it's a very proven platform.<p>Jason Dale<br>Audi Technician<br>Ken Garff Motors<br>Provo, UT
Old 08-08-1999, 06:35 PM
Steve S.

Default What about known problems with the A4?

1) Lower Control Arm bushings<br>2) Heated mirror burnouts<br>3) Valve cover gasket leaks<br>4) Broken Wastegate rods<p>I wonder if anything has been done about these?<p>In my opinion these few issues seem to happen on<br>more than an occasionaly A4. I would hope that something<br>has be altered to help these issues. Maybe they are not<br>as frequently found as I think?<p>Steve S.<br>97 A4 2.8QM<p>
Old 08-08-1999, 08:04 PM
Jason Dale

Default Re: What about known problems with the A4?

To be completely honest, since becoming the Audi tech at our dealership, I have not come across any of these concerns.<p>Jason Dale<br>Audi Technician<br>Ken Garff Motors<br>Provo, UT
Old 08-09-1999, 05:21 AM
Steve S.

Default How long ago did you switch?

You might talk to John Stahmann about those issues I had mentioned.<br>Being a regular on the A4.org forum...I have heard/read about alot of<br>issues. Don't get me wrong...I love my A4...and I think mine has had an<br>average number of minor problems....but I think the jury is still out on<br>what the S4 will be in terms of reliability. I am hopeful that the manifold<br>issue is not an issue any longer.<p>Bring on the pricing sheets AoA ...I wanna get my S4 order into the<br>computer.<p>Steve S.<br>97 A4 2.8QM
Old 08-09-1999, 08:02 AM
Jason Dale

Default Re: How long ago did you switch?

I've worked at this dealer for a little over a year now. For the first 6 months, I worked on all 3 lines(VW/Audi/Porsche), now I'm 90% Audi.<p>Oh, yeah, John and I are pretty good friends but I heven't heard him mention any of these concerns, although we try to stay away from work-related conversations as much as possible.<p>Jason Dale<br>Audi Technician<br>Ken Garff Motors<br>Provo, UT