TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

MD speeding ticket advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MD speeding ticket advice

Out of all days for my radar detector batteries to die... I was snagged going 76 in a 45 (on ramp to major highway). Don't have any points on record, but this is a 290 dollar fine, and I believe 5 points. Was very polite to the officer (hoping he'd drop the speed a little, but that didn't happen). I've done the court thing in the past, which has worked, but the fine and the speed were never this high (i.e. 30 MPH over the limit). Anyone ever go to court and get the points dropped for such a violation? I'm not going to even attempt to make an accuse... just going to ask for some forgiveness in this case and point out my clean record. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:37 AM

Default Here is some info.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.lifehacker.com/software/cars/how-to-beat-a-speeding-ticket-or-at-least-better-your-chances-208611.php">Speeding ticked advice</a></li></ul>
Old 02-09-2007, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default And for your motoring pleasure...

<ul><li><a href="http://www.speedtrap.org">www.speedtrap.org</a></li></ul>
Old 02-09-2007, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: MD speeding ticket advice

I didn't think ramp speeds were enforceable. Its merely a sign showing a suggested speed.

Like a sharp bend on a windy road that says 15mph. Thats only suggested, not enforceable.

Right? Cops can really do whatever they want though. PIGS.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default But according to him he wasn't ON the highway...

Last speed limit applies it would seem.

And not to be cruel, but you're doing 76 to enter a highway, I'm thinking somewhere in there is a display of excessive speed. Wrong place, wrong time I'm afraid.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:08 AM

Default Yep, that's right, they can...

The officer can do whatever he wants. He's not bound by anything except his own belief in what he wants to do to the person he pulls over. Oh wait...that's not quite right...he has to follow the law too. Oh, and this guy was doing more than 30 mph over the speed limit? That's 10 mph over "wreckless-endangerment" in most states. He's lucky the officer didn't impound his car for that and he only got a ticket. I love it when people, and I am absolutely not referring to you "NotANumber", complain about an officer's enforcement of a broken law which protects each and every citizen.

It says a lot about your character "Not" that you aren't trying to wiggle out of it, and will own up to your mistake in court. When the judge hears your case, that is going to make 1000x the difference when it comes to his decision on what to do with you. If you go in there trying to wiggle out of the ticket, the judge won't be too pleased with that, and might just tell you tough-******* here's your fine and enjoy your new insurance premium.

Considering it is your first ticket, and your record is clean, you can always beg and plead for a diversion class. Usually if it's your only ticket, 30 over is pretty high though, you can ask for a diversion class. The judge will usually grant it to you on the condition that you don't get pulled over again for 6 months or so. Again, 30 over is pretty huge, so he might not be as forgiving. But, since your being straighforward and honest with him up front, you should get some help in court for sure. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Have to agree, and most cops are pigs when you do something wrong, but just wait.....

until you really need one, they may actually become very helpful.