TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Michael, Jeff, other 'Milltekies'-- Shade tree mechanic doing well, but a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Michael, Jeff, other 'Milltekies'-- Shade tree mechanic doing well, but a few questions...

I swapped for the new style clamps this evening, and got my confidence level up a notch, so thats good.

1) First of all, on your systems, I assume you go from stock cat outlet ==> into reducing collar ==> into Milltek center ==> into rear muffler. The new clamps-- seem to tighten down really well on the large OD of the front end of the center pipe... but since the reducing collar is a smaller OD, the clamp just won't tighten enough-- flops around! I made a stainless shim from the spare collar, and cranked it tight, but it still leaks. Did you guys get one small and one large clamp, or what?

2) On my system, the center only goes into the rear muffler an inch and a half. No leaks there, but its as though the center is too short. Same for you guys?

I didn't use tape or compound on the connections... figured I'd try the clamps first. Any advice?
Old 04-19-2001, 02:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I only used the large revised clamp for the larger side of the 'reducer collar' and...

the pipe inserts into the muffler about 1 1/2" and is fine.
Old 04-19-2001, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I did the original install on my back in the garage. I re-did the install

on a lift at a garage. I found that it's difficult to get the system "centered" so that you have equal amounts of pipe at each end and at the muffler while you're on your back.

I also gave up on the flat clamps and just used regular muffler clamps. Their roundness seemed to "bite" into the pipe and clamp it down much better.
Old 04-19-2001, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i don't have the newer clamps yet, but i have no leaks cuz i've used sealant compound (more)

well, at least i don't think i have any leaks - i don't hear any unusual leaking noises. pete just sent out my clamps - they won't be here til next week!

yeah the center section doesn't overlap with the rear section a whole lot on mine too.

i'm sure using sealant would get rid of your leaks, but it is a messier install - something 2take in2 consideration seeing how beautifully polished your exhaust is!

do u have the straight center pipe in now? or the resonated center? if u don't mind, i'd love 2hear how the straight pipe sounds in person. i work in sunnyvale and would love to hear how it sounds after u install it.

-t
Old 04-19-2001, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks everyone. I have the resonated on right now...

but I'm going to put the straight pipe on soon, maybe this weekend. You are more then welcome to come by and hear it... I'm in Fremont. I'll post when I get it installed... drop me an email and we'll hook up.