TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Mk II: Audi Magnetic Ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mk II: Audi Magnetic Ride

I've heard that German Audi dealers have early order information on the Mk II TT up on their computers. One option is said to be Audi Magnetic Ride. Many may recall that this first appeared on the LeMans concept car in 2003. Basically, this is an adaptive suspension system that uses magnetic particles suspended in a fluid instead of the typical hydraulic fluid found in most dampers. Increasing the magnetic field causes a visocity change in the fluid, and of course, the dampening characteristics of the system.

Early rumors had mentioned that the new TT would be a technological tour de force and this seems to be holding true. Aluminium construction, Audi Magnetic Ride, heads-up display, and a high-tech high output four cylinder engine are some of the rumors I have heard about the new TT.

Another rumor that I do not particularly trust is that the quattro system will be Torsen T3 based and not Haldex based. Given the donor platform I am not sure that this is technically possible.

Cordially,

John J. Szobocsan
Old 08-25-2005, 08:24 AM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Apparently it's based...

...on the Bose suspension system. Yes, I said Bose. Some of the Quicktime videos to the right are interesting.

Follow the link for details:<ul><li><a href="http://www.bose.com/learning/project_sound/suspension_challenge.jsp">Bose Suspension</a></li></ul>
Old 08-25-2005, 08:29 AM

Default I don't think that it is the Bose system

Audi introduced the Audi Magnetic Ride on the LeMans concept car and it replaced traditional dampers, not the spring/damper assembly. The leMans oncept car used conventional coil springs.

If you have any additional information to the contrary, please share.

Cordially,

John J. Szobocsan
Old 08-25-2005, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford has been working on it forever, they even showed it on Disc. Chan.

I think the new Caddy has it and so does the Vett. I know its not ford....but oh well I guess others (including Audi) are getting into this hole magnetic business. Basically its a shock filled with fluid that becomes solid when magnetic field is applied. You can control how stiff (solid) the fluid is by applying different current to the ellectro magnet. Pretty simple concept, more chemical then physical.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I think the C5 Vette had it.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I already inquired about the Torsen 3 and it seems unlikely
Old 08-25-2005, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yep, I think the aniversary addition C5 does.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I can't wait til they come out with clutches, difs and AWD systems based on the same principle.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:54 AM

Default Correct - both Cadillac and the Corvette have magnetic ride

I do not know if the Audi system is the same or somehow different that the GM/Delco system. I know that VAG is looking strongly into technical solutions for future vehicles. Audi operates a very sophisticated electronics research center in Igolstadt and VAG has a research center, in cooperation with Stanford University, in California.

The trend to near bleeding-edge technical among German companies is not new. In the 1980's the German machine tool industry turned to high tech solution to thwart the onslaught of less expensive but high quality machine tools from Japan. The results were disastrous--too many integration and reliability problems. Sound familiar?

Cordially,

John J. Szobocsan
Old 08-25-2005, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Expert

I hope it's really, really expensive.

Quick Reply: Mk II: Audi Magnetic Ride