TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Mod Time -- Lets say, hypothetically . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Mod Time -- Lets say, hypothetically . . .

Ok, lets say that your car had been <a href="http://studentpages.scad.edu/~taowen20/wreck/DSC01314.jpg" target="_blank">wrecked</a> but repaired (to the tune of $16,000 -- thank god for insurance). And, now lets say that your grandfather had died at the ripe old age of 89 and left you a small something.

Would the best bet be to:

A) Trade in the wrecked '02 TT for an unwrecked but also used one ('02 or later).

or

B) Assume that your TT actually has all the kinks worked out from the years of servicing + repair jobs and just modify it?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would trade the wrecked one for another that hadn't been wrecked.......

After $16,000 worth of repairs it will never be the same. I just went through that with my wife's Acura MDX. Some nut hit her from behind at over 60 mph as she was making a right turn. The car repair bill was $23,000. I told them to just total it but they wouldn't. First thing I did when I got it back was to trade it in on a Caddy SRX. It seemed to drive fine but there were noises here and there that it never had before.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:06 AM

Default Thats the cleanest wrecked car I think I've seen

I'd go with plan A..

Unless Plan B included keeping the car and adding a Stage 3 kit to it.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yeah, that's what I'm thinking . . .

I have about $5k to spend. Of course, the whole front end of my car is new -- the thing that makes me nervous is that they hammered out the passenger-side pillar (that the actual bumper attaches to -- the load bearing one) because it got all twisted by the wreck. Makes me nervous that the cabin wouldn't fare too well in a wreck now due to bad crumpling or something.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Haha, thanks. I really try to keep good care of my cars!

I can't escape bad drivers, though. First TT was a 180 quattro that I bought brand-new. Even had the cloth seats (I LOVE the sport cloth seats!), but a lady ran a red light and tboned me driver-side. Thank goodness these are built like tanks.

I guess I'll mod my 3rd TT then hehe. Do you guys think the price on the "classic" build tt will go down a lot when the new model is released?
Old 03-28-2006, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That was our thinking as well......

All of the air bags (front, side curtains, etc) deployed and one is never sure how safe you would be in another wreck. Would the air bags work again? One can't test them until it's too late. Ain't worth the worry. Buy another TT.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:51 PM

Default same situation as me..

first, I am wondering how could your damage reach 16k, as I am sure mine is worse than that and probably cost about 16k too.

I am trying to get the car totalled, and will just buy different car. It does not make sense you buy another TT; as you had it already before, and also the new body is coming out soon.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default don't trade in on another one, you'll just lose money and end up wrecking the new one >>

I wrecked mine 2 months after getting it. I pulled out in front of an SUV by accident in the blinding sunlight. She nailed my front right corner and did $4800 in damage. The repair was perfect and it looks good as new.

I figure, why lose money buying another one when you may just wreck that one too? These cars are great pieces of engineering, but all cars are just metal - they can be fixed! I've never seen the point in trading a wrecked one for a new one UNLESS the wrecked one was really, really messed up. Front ends are easy to fix. I can understand if it wasn't fixed to your liking, however your insurance must fix the car to it's previous condition. You have every right to make the shop work on it until it's perfect.

Besides, take the extra money and get a stage 3+ kit. You won't stop smiling long enough to remember the accident.

Just IMO
Old 03-28-2006, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well, so far all the accidents have been unavoidable and the other driver's fault . . .

I have a perfect driving record. Accident 1 was a lady running a light -- nothing I can do. Accident 2 was a drunk who hit a protective barrel at an off-ramp and bounced into my lane. Again, nothing to be done for it.

Hopefully, people will stop hitting my cars

I guess the best thing to do is hold off just a little, see the new tt, and then maybe by a classic body once they drop even more in price. I'm pretty sure I like the classic more than the new body. I have 50k miles left on my 100k certified warranty, so I don't have to do anything right away . . . but it is tempting