TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

More on insurance...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-1999, 05:59 PM
Brad Willis

Default More on insurance...

Well, I finally sold my Mercedes, so now the TT is the only car on my 20th Century Insurance Policy and the multi-car discount is gone. Today, I received my amended statement, and I think that the rate is very fair. Bear in mind that I have very high limits and low deductables, and I live in Southern California, which obviously has higher rates than Nebraska or Utah. Also, I have LoJack, so I got both a $75 rebate and a discount on my comprehensive.<p>So I'm paying $499 per 6 months for $300,000/$300,000 bodily injury, $100,000 property damage, $100,000/$300,000 uninsured motorist, and $100 deductables. Quite reasonable, in my view.
Old 06-22-1999, 06:47 AM
Weldon

Default Re: More on insurance...

For what it's worth, you could jigger your coverages and provide better protection at less expense, at least if California laws and rates are anywhere near comparable to Texas'. You're wise to have your liability at 300/300 (especially if that's supplemented by an umbrella or baloon policy that picks up your liability at that level and protects you beyond it). You're unwise to have selected 100/300 coverage for your UM; it's meant to protect you from loss resulting from a wreck with someone who has inadequate, or no, liability insurance to pay your damages. By limiting your coverage to $100k per person, you're passing up an opportunity available here under law to make your UM coverage equal to your liability coverage, and denying yourself and additional $200k of protection. I'd be very surprised if changing from 100/300 to 300/300 UM coverage costs very much. <p>And I'd be amazed if the premium increase would not be covered, with change, if you changed your deductible from $100 to $500; you might even consider upping your deductible to $1000. The premium drop for collision and comprehensive is dramatic and in a very few policy cycles you'll more than save the difference between your present deductible and the higher one. Moreover, by absorbing the (relatively) small expenses yourself and insuring against only major damage or total loss, without reporting them to the ins. co., you avoid the risk of having your rates upped because of adverse claims experience.<p>Keep in mind that ins. co.'s do not exist to pay claims. They exist to collect premiums and, at the end of the fiscal year, distribute them to shareholders. Anything that interferes with that goal, including payment of claims, is regarded as an unnatural act and they resist it puritanically.
Old 06-22-1999, 07:06 PM
Brad Willis

Thanks for the input, but $100,000/$300,000 is the maximum coverage that 20th Century offers for uninsured motorist coverage. I have the highest limits in all catagories, in addition to a $1,000,000 umbrella policy.
Old 06-23-1999, 05:13 AM
Weldon

If that's the case (and I'm sure that it is; some companies refuse even to offer the 300/300 limits on your basic liability coverage), you ought to do some comparison shopping. In all likelihood (I can only speculate about California policies) your umbrella coverage does not supplement your UM coveragaes. If it doesn't, then although you've protected yourself against liability up to $1m, you are protected against personal loss by an uninsured or an underinsured motorist only up to $100k. Doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old 12-17-1999, 01:14 PM
Andy W

Yes just ignore it, it will go away in time.
Old 12-20-1999, 05:25 AM
garyc

Iw
Old 12-20-1999, 08:05 AM
garycgar

Default I was told with a previous car that this is due to under-using brakes(more)

By that I mean lots of small applications. This has effect of putting a glaze on the pads, which in turn makes the squeal that you refer to. I use mine quite heavily, so no squeal. My girl friend has an ALfa Spider with squeaky brakes and she does a lot of gentle town driving. I borrowed it and as well as introducing the engine to the redline, once warmed, I took occassion to brake quickly and very hard from 85-90mph down to 25 mph on a deserted dual carrigway. I did this 4-5 times and lo, the squealing disappeared later back in town when iit had alll cooled down. To the best of my knowledge this does not harm or unduly wear brakes. Give a try when the road is quiet. The TT brakes are amongst the best feature of the car. Don't be afraid to use them!